PDA

View Full Version : Common pleco in a pond?

fishmasterflash
08-22-2010, 01:44 AM
hey guys so I bought this common pleco for my 20g community tank before i knew how big he was going to get... he was one of the first fish i ever got and i was super inexperienced.. anyways, He is almost 2 years old now is and like 6 inches long. I have an a big outdoor pond with 6 small koi. would it be possible for him to live in the pond if he was acclimated slowly enough, atleast during the summer?

Northernguy
08-22-2010, 03:35 AM
During the summer it may survive but the winter will kill it.
Have you tried asking at the lfs?

Crispy
08-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I've seen many plecos spend their summers in ponds, but yes, winter will kill it. you'd hafta bring him inside.

Lady Hobbs
08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Your tank is too small for the sharks, as well. You may have to see if you can take some fish back to the store or trade them with someone for something more fitting to a 20 gallon.

fishmasterflash
08-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Your tank is too small for the sharks, as well. You may have to see if you can take some fish back to the store or trade them with someone for something more fitting to a 20 gallon.
my LFS said that the sharks would be alright in a 20 gal with the other fish listed. maybe i'll trade them in for something smaller though. thanks for your help with the pleco.

AndorranPrince
08-22-2010, 03:22 PM
The LFS wants a sale. Not to mention that labeos (sharks) are incompatible with their own sp. The dominant one will kill the smaller one, then probably attack everything else in that tank.

Northernguy
08-22-2010, 03:31 PM
You will learn to not take your lfs advice without doing your own research first.Just give them a nod and go find out for yourself what is best for your fish.They want to make money on you.
The sharks get 6" long and need room to swim.They can also get rather aggressive with each other.Too big for a 20gal.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/redtailedshark.php

DrNic
08-22-2010, 03:37 PM
You can put the pleco into the pond for the summer but like the others said it's not going to survive the winter. A friend of mine who has a pond here in MA has 2 pleco in it. In the winter he puts a 2 foot high kids pool in his basement that he transfers all his fish into to make sure they survive the winter. It seems to work pretty well for him.

Lady Hobbs
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
If you read this thread http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=68051

you'll see the fish store workers told him 5 goldfish were fine in less than 7 gallons of water, too.

Best to search out the kind of fish you like, read up about them and then return to the store when you know more about them.

fishmasterflash
08-23-2010, 02:08 AM
thanks guys- ok so i did some research and i think my fish are definitely rainbow sharks, not redtailed sharks. do they have the same temperment or will they also outgrow the tank and attack my other fish?

Pleco380
08-23-2010, 02:53 AM
thanks guys- ok so i did some research and i think my fish are definitely rainbow sharks, not redtailed sharks. do they have the same temperment or will they also outgrow the tank and attack my other fish?
I've never owned a rainbow shark but do own a red tailed shark. I believe they have similar temperaments and yes they get about the same size.