PDA

View Full Version : What would be the smallest tank size??

promise
08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
As the title states, what would be the smallest tank size for these little guys?
i saw some yesterday while walking around a pet store in edmonton, they were a very small replica of the fluval edge tank.

i think it was 6" x 6" x 6" looked over the forum and couldn't find anywhere that it says.

Lady Hobbs
08-21-2010, 03:40 PM
I would go no smaller than a 5 gallon and hopefully a 10. My 5 gallon was $8 and I think the 10 gallon was like $15. Tanks only.

promise
08-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks lady im going to go check it out today i saw a beautiful white one while i was in the store, gonna go look at those tanks today and find out the size of it i will probably buy a 10 gallon too.

P.S don't worry i don"t even put spare change in a bowl so i certainly wouldn't put a fish in one :hmm3grin2orange:

Lab_Rat
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
I've got my one betta in a planted 2.5g, and I've currently got a split 2.5g for the two I just picked up. The split 2.5g is just temporary housing though, when I get back home one will have the 2.5g and the other will go in a 5g, unless I decide to split a 10g for all 3 bettas.

Jenn has a couple of cubes, I don't remember the measurement though. About 2g is the smallest I would go for a permanent home.

AndorranPrince
08-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I personally do 10g heavily planted with just one betta, lowest maintenance tank in the world :D

Rue
08-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I also wouldn't go smaller than a 5g. a 5g isn't very big and easy enough to look after...but it is big enough you can have a plant or two in it...the betta will love it.

rich311k
08-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I keep mine in ten gallons. I would do a five though. I dont think I would go smaller than that.

KINGMED
08-22-2010, 12:39 AM
I think larger the better, however I have had betta's in 2.5 gallon for year or more and they do fine just as long as the water gets changed every other day or so, or you cycle the tank. I don't have my betta tanks cycled however I do change the water 100% every 3-4 days. I have two in 2.5 gallon of water and one in a little over 4 gallons of water.

Time-Out
08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I like mine to have 8g. They thrive in the extra space. I have a couple in a divided tank, so they get 3g each, but I find that very small. I wouldn't keep them in there long.

Gisela
08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I had mine in a 5 gallon. My new Betta will come probably tomorrow. So long my Amano Shrimp is all by his little self.

promise
08-24-2010, 04:48 PM
I got a 20 gal with a fish i rescued at the weekend so i think im going to divide it in 2 and put a couple in there, and heavily plant the pants out of it.

thanks for your responses guys.

Pele
08-24-2010, 09:54 PM
I kninda think that it depends on the age of the betta, at a younger age, its better for a bigger tank, 5 to 10 gallons. But when they get to their last few months of life i'd say a shorter one is better so that breathing is easy. Although if you could find a short, wide tank...

promise
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
The tank im thinking of using is 24" x 12" x 16.5" just partition it into 2 tanks and plant it. maybe 1 side as a betta tank the other as another betta tank or as a RCS tank
just playing with ideas right now, i have seen a beautiful white and red (England flag colour and canadas flag colour) betta in a small LFS here in the fort

red fish, blue fish
08-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I got a 20 gal with a fish i rescued at the weekend so i think im going to divide it in 2 and put a couple in there, and heavily plant the pants out of it.
The tank im thinking of using is 24" x 12" x 16.5" just partition it into 2 tanks and plant it. that sounds great. congrats! :) your betta should be happy there.

in case it helps anyone else coming to the thread later and wondering the same thing...

what would be the smallest tank size for these little guys?
From what I've read it seems the smallest size tank that is generally agreed to still be humane for a betta is 2 gal or 2.5 gal (7.57L to 9.46L). Many sources prefer a minimum of 5 gallons (18.92L).
Low horizontal tanks with swimming space are preferred over narrow vertical tanks.
Lots of hiding places, heavily planted (real or fake), and low light are also recommended. :)

i think it was 6" x 6" x 6" looked over the forum and couldn't find anywhere that it says.
a 6 x 6 x 6 tank is only 0.9 U.S. gallons (3.6 liters).
http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php