PDA

View Full Version : Percula or Pink Skunk?

Rue
06-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I realize I can only have 5-6 fish in my 34g reef tank...and without doubt I want two clownfish and a hosting anemone...likely the pink bubble tipped...

I'll likely get the percula...they're smaller, very colourful and the epitome of life in a SW reef...

...but I dislike the way everyone calls them 'Nemos' (I know...get over it, lol)...

...so I was wondering about the pink skunks...they don't seem very colorful in the reef shop, but do they colour up more once they're settled in a stable environment? I didn't like them very much at first, but they're growing on me...

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2007, 02:00 AM
id imagine that they would color up a bit more. my fire shrimp has colored way nicer than in the shop

I cant STAND it when people call clowns "nemos"

Rue
06-15-2007, 03:35 AM
...I've been in the petstore getting supplies and have overheard parents calling ALL fish 'Nemos'...

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2007, 03:36 AM
i want to stick every person that says that in a room and scream "THATS NOT A FREAKIN NEMO. ITS CALLED A CLOWNFISH. REPEAT AFTER ME. CLOWN-FISH, NOT NEMO!":hmm3grin2orange:

Drumachine09
06-15-2007, 03:37 AM
...but I dislike the way everyone calls them 'Nemos' (I know...get over it, lol)...

I HATE THAT TOO!

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2007, 03:42 AM
LOL, i finally found my fire shrimp! I thought the little bugger was dead and he popped out of a chunk of LR! he lives on!

Rue
06-15-2007, 03:55 AM
Yay! Glad you found him...

...boy! This waiting is tough! Tank won't be here until next week...then wait for fresh live rock...then wait for cycling...

In the meantime, I'm getting butterflies thinking about aquascaping...never done it before...and it's permanent (mostly)...what if I don't like what I did???

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2007, 03:58 AM
you wont regret it! especially after you find kritters that you havent seen in forever!

I like seeing those dam bristleworms stick out and i get my poking stick and try to pwn as many as i can

Rue
06-15-2007, 04:15 AM
...apparently the bristleworms do more good than not (with a couple of uncommon exceptions)...just read an article in a Reef-keeping magazine...

...leave 'em be...

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2007, 05:07 AM
but when they get large, they attack corals, and my hammerhead is a easy soft bubbly target

2manyfish
06-15-2007, 12:31 PM
but when they get large, they attack corals, and my hammerhead is a easy soft bubbly target

Not true at all......once a scavenger always a scavenger. They simply lack the mouthparts to bite through living tissue. Once something dies and starts decaying, then it's another thing entirely. Leave them be!

2manyfish
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
And Rue, who said your rockwork would be permanent? You can change things around as it suits you....

I would also like to comment that even though you have a decent sized tank to start with, it's always better to understock especially in saltwater. I would go with the pair of perculas or ocellaris clowns and just get used to the Nemo comment. :wink2: Pink skunks can get fairly large and if you are wanting 5 or 6 fish in the tank, all of the fish need to be small fish when full grown.
Also, I would wait awhile to get the anemone. Not only do they need intense lighting but they also need pristine conditions. Not something new tanks are known to have!! A mature, stable tank (and an experienced aquarist) will give the anemone the best chance of survival.

Can't wait to see pics of your new tank!! :c10:

Fishguy2727
06-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Nemo was an ocellaris. So at least if they are calling anything besides an ocellaris nemo, you can correct them.

I would go with a pair of percula. Preferably two young small ones of the same size out of the same tank at the LFS.

What other fish are you planning on?

Drumachine09
06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Nemo was an ocellaris. So at least if they are calling anything besides an ocellaris nemo, you can correct them

BURN!!!!!!!!!!

Rue
06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Barb is right about the bristleworms...detritivores...won't attack the coral...

But how do you change the rockwork once it's all glued in place and the corals have established themselves?

I was thinking the pink clowns might get too big...another reason to stick with the perculas/ocellaris...

Other than that I want a pajama cardinal (or two) and the green chromis (2-3)...they are beautiful little fish...not sure why they're considered so low on the marine totem pole (ie. cycling fish, disposable fish)...

The Red Sea Max has, as far as I'm aware, lighting designed specifically for corals and anemones and such...which was another big selling feature for me, since I want the anemone the most...but I realize the tank needs to be mature before I can get one. Pink bubble tip!

However, I can get the liverock as soon as the saltwater is circulating...or with 24 hours...so that will have to do for excitement for a while!

Fishguy2727
06-15-2007, 07:59 PM
If you are gluing the liverock in place I hope you get it right the first time. Most just stack it and make sure it is stable.

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2007, 08:28 PM
i dont glue my 30lbs of it. I just stack it and make a strong base, then tap every piece of rock. If it moves, i re-set it

Rue
06-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Not gluing it would be a lot more versatile...

I suppose I could always glue it together later on instead of immediately if there seems to be need...

unleashed
06-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I realize I can only have 5-6 fish in my 34g reef tank...and without doubt I want two clownfish and a hosting anemone...likely the pink bubble tipped...

I'll likely get the percula...they're smaller, very colourful and the epitome of life in a SW reef...

...so I was wondering about the pink skunks...they don't seem very colorful in the reef shop, but do they colour up more once they're settled in a stable environment? I didn't like them very much at first, but they're growing on me...

I wouldn't even put 3 fish in a 34g reef. You have to take into account how much water is taken up by rock, coral and sand. In the end, that 34g water depletes very soon to 20, 15 or 10 gallons of water.

However, regarding percs and skunks, I would go for whatever takes your fancy. Percs are the more 'traditional' clown. However, skunks move and look much cooler - however, skunks do need an anemone to feel at home, not much so for a perc

2manyfish
06-15-2007, 11:30 PM
PJ cardinals are nice fish...odd coloring too. Chromis on the other hand are rather blah to me....no personality at all, color is okay but not great, they tend to pick on each other and they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to anemones either. I had one try to dive into an anemone when the fish became startled. It became lunch instead.

You know what's a cool fish with outstanding color? Black cap basslet. Related to royal grammas only they are an intense purple over their entire bodies with a (you got it) black cap on their head. Very cool fish with a ton of personality too...able to hold their own but not too aggressive either.

:c12:

Drumachine09
06-15-2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/201_blackcap5.jpg

I give you the black capped basslet.

VERY beautiful fish. The lfs has them. Except they are like $45. I saw a dragon wrasse that looked pretty boss too.

kkyyllee
06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't even put 3 fish in a 34g reef. You have to take into account how much water is taken up by rock, coral and sand. In the end, that 34g water depletes very soon to 20, 15 or 10 gallons of water.

However, regarding percs and skunks, I would go for whatever takes your fancy. Percs are the more 'traditional' clown. However, skunks move and look much cooler - however, skunks do need an anemone to feel at home, not much so for a perc

not true they don't need an anemone to feel at home, you could put 4 or 5 fish in a 34 gallon, the rock and sand doesn't take up that much water, id say go with the nemos:hmm3grin2orange: they would be more compatible with other fish, when you get them make sure one is smaller or larger than the other

what about a dwarf angel like a flame or a coral beauty?

Rue
06-16-2007, 11:22 PM
...I like the basslet! Cute!...

kkyyllee; that's probably what I'll do to ...get the percs/ocellaris...

...and this is for calling 'em the 'namethatshallnotbespoken' *SMACK* :27:

Fishguy2727
06-17-2007, 03:02 AM
If you get two young clowns at the same time from the same tank you should be fine, otherwise they do need to be very different in size.

I don't think you can recommend stocking based on number of fish. 5 little cleaner gobies are about the same bioload as one big fat clown. And since most stocking recommendations are made according to tanks with rock and decor in them, than a 34 with a certain stocking level is a 34 with a certain stockign level, even if there is not a full 34 gallons in it. And the stocking can actually be higher in a tank loaded with live rock than in an empty tank for a number of reasons. Mainly that the live rock adds biological filtration, territory, and an overall more stable environment.