PDA

View Full Version : Arkie Hillbilly

fiatben
08-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Hi all. My name is Ben. I live in the northwestern part of the state of Arkansas in the central part of the United States. Along with my interest in freshwater tropicals, I also enjoy woodworking and Fiat 124 Spiders.

I've been interested in fish-keeping as far back as I remember, early in youth. However, it has been a sporadic hobby. After a 4-year hiatus I am currently setting up a 29-gallon aquarium in the living room and will follow that with a 10-gallon in my bedroom. Cureently the big tank is full of water, driftwood and plastic plants with an undergravel filter and power filter running. Since it is a sterile tank I intend to gently develop its ecosystem by introducing a couple of small fish, undecided as of yet.

I enjoy the more common freshwater tropicals. barbs, tetras, live-bearers, etc. Perhaps that is because that is what is easily available in this backwater. I find even that requires some significant thought to make pleasing choices. And yet I like to see something a bit unique as well. I'll tr to post here often as this project progresses and look forward to all your comments and opinions and expertise.

Thank you in advance for sharing.

KingFisher
08-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum! :22:

Northernguy
08-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

promise
08-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Welcome Welcome

Pleco380
08-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Welcome to the AC forum!

dynara
08-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Hello and welcome to the AC!

gadget228
08-21-2010, 10:05 AM
:welcomewave: to the AC... :22:

Dave66
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Howdy fellow Arkie, and welcome to the forum!

Dave

rich311k
08-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Welcome to AC!

Lady Hobbs
08-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Ben, welcome to AC.

You'll get lots of help with questions when you ask them within the forum. You may want to read the cycling threads to give you a jump start.

Cliff
08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the forum

kathymac
08-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi Ben, I'm from northeast arkansas, welcome to ac. I'm sure you'll like it here, there's a bunch of very nice and helpful people on this forum. I have looked at quiet a few on the web and this one is the best.Good luck with your fish.

fiatben
08-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Well, it's official. I'm hooked. I picked up a 2nd 29-gallon tank today and I don't even have fish in the first one yet and all the accessories to the 10-gallon are in a crate on the front porch waiting to be cleaned. I really couldn't help myself. It was such a good deal. I drove for an hour in really hot weather in my old convertible which has no top and stuffed it with the tank, stand, hood, power filter, other accessories and a 5-gallon bucket of gravel! Now I have to rearrange the bedroom to accomodate it. It is going to be a lot of work and I'm actually quite enthused about it.

This one will be quite different from the living room tank. I intend to get serious about live plants and doing something a bit more exotic in my selection of fish. I guess I'd better learn how to take good pics of my tanks and how to post them here. Meanwhile, I'm on the learning curve regarding growing plants well. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

Arkie Ben