PDA

View Full Version : Super UGF

Algenco
06-14-2007, 09:45 PM
I saw an old post by Drumachine09 asking how to "beef up" a UGF.

A lot of folks don't like them, they are old fashion,etc.
Used properly I still like them.

Ok, how to make a Super UGF Cover the plate with filter floss, use a lot, you want it to be around 1" deep after you cover with 1/3"-1/2" gravel. For a 20g long I used 3/4 bag, cover with gravel, push it down along the edges to hide the floss. You can use air or install powerheads , I've even used HOB filters by placing the pickup inside the uplift tube (Make sure the uplight tube is above the waterline

I had that 20 planted with giant hygro (Make sure they are where you want them, no moving later) I used it to grow out some Angels, one died and I didn't miss it for at least a week, water stayed crystal clear with no odors.

I think they are a great filter when used properly.

genitor
06-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Sounds cool. One problem though, when the filter floss gets dirty how do you clean it?

Drumachine09
06-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Also, the top of the tube doesnt have to be above water. Infact, that pretty much doesnt do much of anything.

genitor
06-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Also, the top of the tube doesnt have to be above water. Infact, that pretty much doesnt do much of anything.

If the ugf tube is bigger than the hob intake tube, the ugf tube will have to above the water with the hob tube in it going below the water linef or the hob intake to suck water through the ugf.

Don't know if that is explained properly. I can see it better in my head.

Algenco
06-16-2007, 02:05 AM
If the ugf tube is bigger than the hob intake tube, the ugf tube will have to above the water with the hob tube in it going below the water linef or the hob intake to suck water through the ugf.

Don't know if that is explained properly. I can see it better in my head.

Correct, having the uplift tube above the waterline insures that the filter draws through the UG plate.

You can lightly vacuum the gravel, I ran that tank for 2 years with no problem