PDA

View Full Version : Plant noob, I am. Browning leaves!

Aydreean
08-20-2010, 04:57 AM
For around 3 months or so I have been struggling to get a booming planted aquarium out of my 45 gallon. I thought everything was going good but now my leaves on my swords are browning.

I have a 96 watt double 50/50 fixture on top of the tank, and what was branded as "plant ready" gravel. I keep the lights on 8-12 hours a day and inject Co2 every other day almost.

I have wisteria and I think amazon swords in my tank right now. Supposedly enough light. I am suspecting the problem lies within the soul. The leaves aren't turning yellow and dying, they almost look burnt. Brown and patchy in some areas. I have noticed vertical growth with the swords since the new light fixture. The wisteria are too new to tell. I haven't put any nutrient deposits into the soul and have relied really on the fish waste for the plants food.

I just bought some of the liquid fertilizer earlier and I am hoping this will do the trick with the browning. Do I need to get the actual under-the-soul nutrient tabs or will I be good with the liquid OR is there a different problem that is causing the browning?

I'm incredibly sorry for the diary post :|

mommy1
08-20-2010, 05:25 AM
i had the same problem with my swords when i first put them in my tank. i started using root tabs and they are now big and healthy. swords get their nutrients through their roots. so yes root tabs are probably what you need.

lady hobbs posted this link and they are the ones i use.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Aquari...izers_s/38.htm (http://www.aquariumplants.com/Aquarium_Fertilizers_s/38.htm)

Aeonflame
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM
I made my own root tabs by kneading magnesium sulphate and potash into pottery clay and rolling them into little rounded spikes which were sun dried. They seemed to work well, but you have to be careful not to disturb them.

geowashlaw
08-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Swords are heavy root feeders and they will get limited benefit from liquid ferts. I would definitely use root tabs under them.

Aydreean
08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
again my hunches are correct. I will be sure to pick up some tabs today. Thanks a lot everyone!

Australian natives
08-21-2010, 12:40 AM
my java fern also has some leaves which are brown. in the middle of the plant. i would say they look like they have burnt, or dried out also. but they were there when i bought it and haven't changed since. so i assumed it was normal, as the rest of the plant is growing well. let me know if adding ferts gets rid of the browning.
and good luck.

Michael Milligan
08-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Leaves don't heal. If they are brown from age or damage they will stay that way. As the plant grows you can break of the old leaves in favor of the fresh new growth.

Just wait for the plant to establish itself. Good light, some food and a bit of waiting.