PDA

View Full Version : Will a Betta eat guppy fry ?

MitchTBF
08-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Will a Betta eat guppy fry ?

I am trying to decide on a smallish 1-2" centerpiece fish for my 10gal fancy guppy tank, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if a Betta will eat guppy fry.

I am hoping the answer is yes because I also want the centerpiece fish to maintain crowd control, so to speak.

So far I am considering a Dwarf Gourami or a Betta. To be honest though, all the stories about the Dwarf gourami Iridovirus are kind of making me not want to get one of those.

Any comments or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

Brhino
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
A betta would likely eat some guppy fry. I'm not sure if it would be enough for population control, but you've got a more important problem - the betta is likely to kill the adult guppies as well, since he'll see their long flowing tails and think they're other bettas.

Northernguy
08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Some bettas will kill off guppies but most will eat the fry.
I had a betta that would wait behind a plant and ambush unsuspecting guppies.He would only kill them.

MitchTBF
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
...the betta is likely to kill the adult guppies as well, since he'll see their long flowing tails and think they're other bettas.

Ouch, I didn't realize that. Once again, this message board has proven to be an invaluable source of information for me. I guess I'll think about the Dwarf Gourami or something else then.

Thanks

Red
08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Do you have a petsmart near by? They have a fish called "south american bumblebee catfish" and they are good fry control.

DragonGoby
08-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah... But be sure it's Microglanis iheringi (SA bumblebee catfish) for it stays small... The other bumblebee catfish will outgrow your 10gal. And in the end, even a SA bbee Catfish will need a larger tank. (We have one now in a 20 gal).

On the other hand you can try to find (and I say try because it's not easy) a true FW bumblebee goby. They could eat the fry too, they stay small... Real small.

Or you can try a brackish system (uuuhh a little more complicated) for most of the bumblebee goby are brackish fish...

For the betta, I won't go that way, there's too much a risk that he decide to kill the parents too...

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated.

MitchTBF
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I am now leaning towards 1 Betta and a school of cory catfish instead of guppys. Does that sound safe for all fish involved ?

Mitch

rich311k
08-20-2010, 02:50 PM
That generally makes a nice stocking. The two types of fish will pretty much ignore each other.

AndorranPrince
08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
That makes for a good stock. Bettas usually ignore Cories.

chrisfraser05
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Thats a good idea :)

My betta's in with a couple of corys and ottos.

He was in with platys to begin with but went on a killing spree and then proceded to eat £15's worth or RCS too lol

bluebluecow
08-20-2010, 03:44 PM
depends on the betta.

I had one that decided that the guppy babies where his, But was in a heavy planted 4ft tank, with female bettas and also another docile male.

all went well till we got some whitespot and bloat, ahhh

now wouldnt risk a betta I didnt know in there.
Have a 66l tank running as breeding experiment for guppies, but keep thinking how nice a home it would make for a betta, and some corys and a b/n plec LOL

Oldman
08-28-2010, 02:50 AM
It may eat a few but not enough to help much with population control. The one in my 45 gallon endler tank is a total failure at population control and my endlers are a bit smaller than guppy fry.