View Full Version : Is it possible to have too much light?

08-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Here's the deetz....

I have a 15 gallon nano planted tank that is in the works. I have an extra coralife 96 watt, 20" width light that fits the tank perfectly. It's a daylight bulb, not sure the Kelvins but I will check it out when I return home from traveling.

Is this just going to fry any fish I put in the tank? I doubt the plants would have an issue with this kind of lighting... I'm more concerned about the fish I put in the tank. Also thinking that if I do end up using this light, I may put some top water plants in there to help add some shade.

What do you think, is this way too much light?

08-19-2010, 02:02 AM
With that kind of light, the fish will probably be more skittish. The big problem will more than likely be algae though.

I'd strongly suggest a good dense cover of floating plants to keep the light levels down and the nutrients under control.

08-19-2010, 02:08 AM
You will probably have an algae covered mess. Too much light can be worse than too little.

08-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Yah, I assumed algae will come in to play...

I am more worried about whether or not this will be an issue for fish.