PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Trumpet Snails: take the plunge?

Dave-H
08-18-2010, 02:12 AM
Hello all -

I am about 6 weeks in to a low-tech planted tank. I've got a few neons/guppies hanging out in there, couple of african dwarf frogs, 3 nerite snails, and some yellow cherry shrimp. Fairly light bioload and I like it that way.

My substrate is Flourite and I'm currently seeing some brown stuff that is probably diatoms. The nerites are eating away but they are too heavy to get on the plants. I am considering adding to MTS to help clean up the place and hopefully keep the substrate in good shape, but I have a few concerns.

1. I know that these things will multiply like crazy - is this going to be a problem, or am I just committing to having a lot of MTS in my tank? Is there a downside?

2. I like the idea of them burrowing in the substrate, but will that mess with the plants? I have a fairly standard set of low light plants, nothing fancy, but I want them to be undisturbed. Will the MTS hurt the root system or will the aeration actually help the plants?

3. I have been using root tabs to help out the plants - any problem here?

4. Any problem with Nerites and MTS together?

The MTS seem ideal for a planted tank, and they are so small that they should cruise around my big swords and keep the leaves clean. Well, that's my hope. Is it that easy? :)

Any advice appreciated! thanks!

troy
08-18-2010, 02:37 AM
MTS don't eat algae off of plants, well at least mine don't. Ramshorn snails would work but they reproduce very quickly. My MTS reproduce very slowly compared to my bladder and ramshorn snails. MTS will not hurt plants. They'll work with nerite snails. IMO you should get some.

SunSchein89
08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
I threw a bunch in my 5.5 gal betta tank and they helped clean up all the wood rot and some of the algae/diatoms as well. The tank is finally looking clean and I already see babies cruisin' around. I think they look pretty cool, and it's about the only other living thing I can keep with my betta that he won't try to kill. I say go for it.

Dave-H
08-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Ok, I'm going for it!

KingFisher
08-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I have MTS in my 90g planted tank wit flourite sand. they do not damage the plants but do a great job cleaning up leftover fish food and also keeping the sand stirred. Their numbers do occasionally get out of control, but I found just scooping a bunch out now and then works fine.

I discovered something that works great for removing extras. It is a plastic minnow scoop designed for use when ice fishing. The holes are just the right size for allowing the sand to sift through but not the snails.

I also have a few nerites in there and they get along fine.

I use root tabs and have seen no problem with them harming the snails.

minnow scoop: http://www.fishingbuckets.com/CD%20Photos/50253%20small.jpg