PDA

View Full Version : algea

tattooedgrahamcracker
06-14-2007, 04:17 PM
what would you recomend for something to clean the algea i have tried plecos and the pirahna keep eating them and i hear snails are pretty dirty any advi

hungryhound
06-14-2007, 05:26 PM
It is hard to give a general reply to this question.

What size tank?
Lighting?
photo period?
Planted?
Current Tank occupants?
Algae Description?

There are multiple kinds of Algae and having a detailed description of what kind it is will help to determine how to treat.

As a general rule the main cause of Algae is Too much light in a non planted tank.

In a planted tank it is too much light, or not enough CO2, or Fertilizers are out of whack.

Plus, no animal eats all types of algae, some eat one kind but not another and it will do you know good to buy a fish that only eats green algae when your entire tank is covered with hair algae.

here is a link to algae in a planted tank.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

tattooedgrahamcracker
06-14-2007, 05:42 PM
30 gallon tank back filter, under gravel filter 2 pirahna i added 4 large goldfish to store till the pond was done cuz my friend was gonna kill em, shortly after the tank went nuts green brown and white algea i have gotten a new home for the goldfish and did a mass cleaning and waterchange and its doing much better now mostly only green, slim to no direct sunligh i turn the tank light on at about 7 am and off at about 7-8 pm

tattooedgrahamcracker
06-14-2007, 05:43 PM
just a cheap light and not planted

hungryhound
06-14-2007, 05:55 PM
The brown algae is diatoms that feed off the silicates in new tanks. They tend to go away on thier own after a month or two as you have experienced.

I do not think that you want to add any livestock that will eat algae to a tank with piranhas. It might be some expensive meals.

The biggest problem that I think you are facing is that your photo period is so long. Even though it is a small light 12 to 13 hours a day is a lot. With no plants in the tank You really do not need anywhere near that much light in the tank. In fact you could probably get away with just turning the light on when you are watching them, but who wants to do that.

If it were me I would cut the photoperiod down to 7 or 8 hours. The fish will most likely receive enough light through indirect light from the windows or lamps, that you do not need those extra hours anyways.

I am guessing that you turn the lights on when you get up and go to work and off in the evening. You could purchase an inexpensive timer to turn the lights on and off for you, since you will not be there to do it yourself. Say noon or 1 till 8 or 9. that way you are home to enjoy them.

I think that should greatly reduce your algae problems.

tattooedgrahamcracker
06-14-2007, 06:10 PM
cool thanks for the input