PDA

View Full Version : When to add ferts?

domjd05
08-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Assuming you do a weekly WC of 50-75% and you only add ferts once a week.. when do you do it? and why?

Cliff
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I 1/2 dose after my weekly water change and then another 1/2 once again in between

Seams to work for my tank

rich311k
08-17-2010, 02:13 AM
I add mine after my water change. I then add some more later in the week.

troy
08-17-2010, 02:13 AM
After the water change because that gives the most time for the plants to soak it up. I wouldn't add it right before the wc though.

domjd05
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
No that would be a waste:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Ya think!

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

SpyderSpy6
08-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I add fertz and supplements after every water change, and then I add fertz during the week as well. Usually iron and potassium almost everyday.

If you have the plant load to support overloading the supplements you won't see any algae.

Sasquatch
08-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Regularly throughout the week.

Adding a big dose right after a water change will lead to a yoyo effect with your nutrient levels. Also, with micro/macro nutrients, some of them may get bound up on organic matter and not be available to the plants.

If you have the time, dosing a little bit every day will give your plants a relatively constant level of nutrients. Also, if you dose correctly, the plants should take most of it up during the day. The day you do your water change, test the water and adjust your dosing accordingly.

kennedpa
08-23-2010, 01:54 AM
purely depends on what fert you use. I use a weekly fert so it makes sense to add it when doing the water change.

DrNic
08-23-2010, 02:26 AM
It really depends on the ferts you use.

In most cases however if you have chlorine in your water you should wait at least a day to add in the ferts. The mix of some dechlorinators and ferts can cause a reaction that releases toxic salts into the aquarium water. This is one of the reasons I stopped using ferts, as my town has a heavily chlorinated water system and I tend to use a little extra dechlorinator just to be safe.

promise
08-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Mine gets 1/2 cap added every 4 days straight after the 50% WC, my plants are growing like crazy it works for me i guess

Plant Man
08-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Assuming you do a weekly WC of 50-75% and you only add ferts once a week.. when do you do it? and why?

I add ferts 3 times per week. Look up EI. Water changes are to bring the fert levels down and level them out for the next week of fertilizing. So no one particular nutrient gets out of control. I don't dose on water change day.

This is a very broad question. I mean it really depends on your tank set up, ei, light/Co2 levels. If you’re not running Co2 you “most likely” don’t need extra ferts with your 50% water change, unless you have very soft water that is.

Are you running Co2? How are you guesstimating how much is in the water?

How many watts of what type of light (T-5/T-8/other) are you running?

What are your Phosphate/Nitrate ppms in your tap water?

What are your GH/KH ppms in your tap water?

Are you running an enriched substrate?

My tank, 1/2 EI dosing, 1/8 EI phosphate dosing under 1.4 watts (low/medium light) of T-5.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/TheMailman6666/9thweekEI.jpg