PDA

View Full Version : Ich?

Elliriyanna
08-16-2010, 08:36 PM
http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab297/elliriyanna/Tatsu%202010/?action=view&current=DSC02291.jpg

Tatsu has been acting great but I just noticed he has a tiny white spot on his front fin. He is acting fine super active, eating well. I dont know if its anything to worry about but asking cant hurt ... what looks like spot on his face aren't there in real life its from the flash and his scaled glimmer. but that one spot is bothering me. look close its on the fin he is sticking out

Tango
08-16-2010, 08:48 PM
It doesn't look like ick. It may be part of his fin - I know a few of mine have different spots on their fins that worried me at first, but it turned out it was just different colouring. I don't think it is anything to worry about.:ssmile:

Elliriyanna
08-16-2010, 10:01 PM
thanks :) I'll keep a close eye on him :) he seems healthy and active but if anything changes i'll let you know

Australian natives
08-16-2010, 11:53 PM
it is hard to tell front he picture but it doesn't look like ich.
how long has it been there? is it flat to the fin? or protruding? and is it fury, or smooth? like a little spot of cotton, or a grain of salt?
if i were u id keep a close eye on it, if it falls off, add salt immediately. do the same if it starts to grow or spread.
if it falls off, it is very likely ich. what ich will do is, attach to a fish, make a cyst, the cyst will fall off, and then it will sit on the gravel for a while, then it will burst and a bunch of tiny trophants will swim out and reattach to ur fish. u can only kill ich in its free swim stage, (so when it is out of after the cyst has burst and before it finds another host).

anyway, i wish u luck man.
peace

Elliriyanna
08-17-2010, 12:00 AM
it seems to be part of his fin not protruding same texture and color. i noticed it a few days ago but it may have been there longer

Australian natives
08-17-2010, 12:21 AM
then it is not likely to be ich. pretty safe to rule it out.
it is possible that it is the early stages of fin rot.
or scabbing over tissue damage.
but at least now it is a good thing if it falls off =P.
just watch very carefully for spreading.
good luck.

Elliriyanna
08-17-2010, 04:44 PM
i just got him very recently but there is nothing in his tank that could hurt him. And i dont think fin rot would start in the middle of the fin

Australian natives
08-17-2010, 10:02 PM
it can, but ur right it isnt likely too. although it has happened to one of my fish. but i only noticed it when it looked like a little pin hole.
id just keep an eye on it.

Elliriyanna
08-18-2010, 02:25 AM
he seems great :) Also the tank currently has one betta two female guppies two ghost shrimp and two otocinclus ... is it stocked ok?

Tango
08-18-2010, 04:09 AM
For a ten gallon tank, that stocking sounds fine. But just beware that your betta may eat the ghost shrimp. Though he may not. I have many different bettas, and they are all quite different. A few of mine would eat the ghost shrimp, though not all of them would. So it will depend entirely on your betta. But in my experience, almost all fish love to eat shrimp. Just thought you should keep an eye on them. :ssmile:

Little Embers
08-18-2010, 01:59 PM
he seems great :) Also the tank currently has one betta two female guppies two ghost shrimp and two otocinclus ... is it stocked ok?
I thought you said you wouldn't add any more fish!

Anyway, with all the problems you were having with ammonia levels and it being a newly established tank, I would keep a close eye on the Oto's, they really shouldn't be added to a tank until it has been fully established for quite a while, due to their sensitivity to water quality. The shrimp wouldn't handle ammonia either.

Elliriyanna
08-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Turns out the ammonia was only because the heavy bioload of the goldfish. within a few days of getting them out and cleaning out the muck they left the ammonia was fine. now everyone is in there. the oto's seem fine they suck on everything and they have good color even though they lost it for a few days when they moved in. they are brightly colored now and eating well and no clamped fins. the shrimp also seem to be doing well.

what i'm worried about is my move friday since they will be stressed anyway and i have to drain the tank and i have no idea what the water is like on campus

Little Embers
08-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Glad they seem to be doing well! It would have been wiser to have waited until you had relocated, before getting more fish for the tank.

Elliriyanna
08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
very true .. turns out i have 20/20 hindsight. But its only a 20 minute drive so it shouldnt be too hard on them i'll just test and condition the colleges water and everyone will be ok

rothenb1
08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
As long as you keep your biowheel or whatever holds the BB in your filter wet, you should be able to put all new water in the tank and be alright (granted you add dechlor). The BB needs to be kept wet because if it dries out it will die. You should take tank water, put it in a bucket or ziplock bag, and stick the BB holder (like I said, bio wheel or whatever) in it. Don't keep it wet in tap water, the chlorine will be harmful to the BB and to the fish once you stick it back on.

You may go through a mini cycle, meaning your ammonia/nitrite will spike for a day or so. Make sure you're testing the water regularly and doing any necessary water changes.

Elliriyanna
08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
'm really worried about Tatsu :( his pectoral fin looks like its split and he's a little less active and not eating as much :( and one of his scales looks like he rubbed it off :( he still comes up to the front of the tank ... But it looks like both pectoral fins have white spots :( I don't know what to do :( how do I treat him? And there are two oto's in the tank so I'm worried it might hurt them... Should I isolate him? Everyone else seems fine though I'll treat them all :( I had an ammonia spike yesterday so I did a huge water change ( 30 percent) and added amquel plus to protect my buddies :(

I know i've made some stupid choices but I really dont want to lose these guys :(

Elliriyanna
08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
The parameters are horrible :( ammonia 1.5 ppm, PH 8 ( which is normal here ) Nitrite .30, Nitrate 5ppm. Everything was 0 when I put him in a week ago and the tank had been cycled :( I had goldfish in it ( which I know you should never use to cycle but yeah ... ) and got rid of them because i couldnt handle it and moved Tatsu into a bigger tank and got him a few buddies. everyone seems to be doing fine just a little lazy good color no fading like they will when they stress. The amquel + neutralizes everything so as bad as the parameters are it wont hurt them. I posted pictures of my oto's to show that even they re fine .. I dont get it.

http://i873.photobuc...10/DSC02291.jpg

Tatsu a few days ago there is a white spot on his fin but I was told dont worry about it

http://i873.photobuc...10/DSC02298.jpg
you can see his missing scale his fins are down cuz he's trying to swim away cuz he hates the camera

http://i873.photobuc...10/DSC02306.jpg
fins ... cant see anything wrong with them but wanted to give as many pics as possible

http://i873.photobuc...10/DSC02311.jpg
his tank

http://i873.photobuc...10/DSC02311.jpg
silly oto on the air stone

I'm also moving tomorrow so i'm worried about putting him under more stress :(

Little Embers
08-20-2010, 11:06 PM
The parameters are horrible :( ammonia 1.5 ppm, PH 8 ( which is normal here ) Nitrite .30, Nitrate 5ppm. Everything was 0 when I put him in a week ago and the tank had been cycled :( I had goldfish in it ( which I know you should never use to cycle but yeah ... ) and got rid of them because i couldnt handle it and moved Tatsu into a bigger tank and got him a few buddies. everyone seems to be doing fine just a little lazy good color no fading like they will when they stress. The amquel + neutralizes everything so as bad as the parameters are it wont hurt them. I posted pictures of my oto's to show that even they re fine .. I dont get it.
I’m sorry Elliriyanna, but what is there “not to get”….From all your posts/threads, it is clear that your tank has never cycled properly and even though you removed the goldfish and replaced it with the Betta, you continued to add more fish, against everyone’s advice.

You can not rely on the use of amquel + to do your work for you. Granted the amquel binds the toxins together into a non-toxic form, but it takes approx. 5 minutes to detoxify the major toxins and 24 hrs for any left remaining, so your fish are still having to take in ammonia, nitrate and nitrite during that time and are still living in a toxic environment.

I would be doing 30-40% (some may say more) partial water changes daily to keep those levels down.

BettaLovin
08-27-2010, 02:10 PM
alright, ill tell you guys what i have done and then you can school me.

I have kept fish before (from walmart) who have lived for over 2 years with little upkeep.

well my daughter who is 6 received a setup for her birthday on sat aug 21.
14 gallon tank biowheel 5-15 filter 5-15 submersibile heater.

i started with
5 tetras
1 adf
2 corys
1 betta

I did not know about cycling till this week.
i dont not own a test kit.
this was a gift to my daughter.i can barely afford the fish food right now.
more or less 10 bucks for a test kit,dechlorinator , etc.

ive read every web site i can find about my species and tank.

i am spending 8 hours a day working at this to keep them alive and i am losing.

within the first three days the tets died,3 for unknown reasons(probably the fact the tank didnt properly cycle.
( although before the fish were added,a week previous,i did add live plants)
2 tets became lodged under very small marble like stones at night and apparently drowned.

2 days later i lost my larger cory.my small one is thriving so far.

last night my adf came to life.i was worried but after reading that they like to swim and frolic i assumed thats what this thing was doing. this a.m.she was dead.

right now all i have left is my betta and 1 cory.

my cory is fine like i said. my betta has become lethargic,hiding under a large rock i recently put in the tank.he wont come out and "play"
he used to dance to my finger on the glass and he would flare when id put the mirror out. now he just hides.

i noticed he has miniscule white spots on various fins of his crowntail.and on his fins next to his gills.

i isolated him to get a better look, it looks like they might come off but he wont let me touch him at all to see.and im afraid i might stress him out if i mess with him anymore.

i know ive done all the no-nos ,but i am making an attempt to rectify this, even though i have NO cash flow to buy what would make both our lives so much easier.

i guess the ?? here is what are these little whit spots that look like salt?
what else can i do for these reamining fish in order to keep them alive without stressing them out?

im at a loss.

let the schooling and scorning begin. im ready,

BettaLovin
08-27-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da-kX-WiHR4

my betta and set up

BettaLovin
08-27-2010, 04:22 PM
I have Ick.

rothenb1
08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Betta lovin, it'd be better to make this into your own thread. Select the betta section or disease section and post a new thread. You'll get more responses that way :)

BettaLovin
08-27-2010, 07:56 PM
thank you for the advice.i have opened a new thread.

i got problems inder the betta fish forum thank you again