View Full Version : I Killed "George"

08-16-2010, 03:43 AM
My own stupidity killed my gorgeous new fighter (aka George). I should have kept a closer eye on the water, despite doing 30% wc's every two days (he tore a fin). I had him for less than a week and now he's gone.

I'm so angry and upset with myself that I let this happen. Huge ammonia spike. :scry: :scry: I don't know why. When I did the water changes I made sure there wasn't any old food or anything around. The tank is heavily planted. It only had George and a few cherry shrimp in there. The shrimp seem to be doing okay, even the babies. I'll keep a close eye on the water and go from there.

RIP George!


08-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Sorry for your loss.

08-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Dam that sucks, sorry for the loss.

08-16-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that.

Have you found the cause of your ammonia ?

08-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish.

08-16-2010, 05:17 AM
An ammonia spike should've killed the RCS LONG before the Betta. It may be that something else happened internally. Regardless, sorry for your loss. I've lost two Betta and four guinea pigs in less than two weeks so I know your loss.


08-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks Everyone!

An ammonia spike should've killed the RCS LONG before the Betta.

Sark - I thought that too! Perhaps he wasn't as healthy as he looked. None of it makes sense really.

Cliff - No, I still have no idea. I'm actually tossing around the idea that it's come from my tank water. We've had no rain here for a while and then enough to fill the tank, perhaps there was something on the roof or gutters that could affect ammonia levels, no idea really, grasping at straws... :scry:

ETA - I always treat the water before it goes in the tank as well.

Australian natives
08-16-2010, 10:27 AM
could it have come from the betta dying and decaying a little before u found it?
or did the ammonia test high before the betta died?

P.S. sorry for ur loss

08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
He was alive and swimming around this morning. I came home about 3 hours later and he was dead. Other than his torn fin there didn't seem to be any other marks on him.

I tested the water after I found him dead. Then I did a 50% water change, so I've got my fingers crossed the shrimp survive.

08-18-2010, 02:50 AM
I've been doing 75% water changes since my last post. I've finally got the ammonia down from 4.0ppm to 1.0ppm. Just did another 75% water change after testing so fingers crossed!!

Three of the 5 shrimp are now dead. I can't see any of the babies, but then it was rare to see them anyway (heavily planted), so they could still be in there. The one shrimp is full of eggs, so fingers crossed it all works out.

I still can't work out what caused the spike. I even tested my rainwater tank but no ammonia in there (thank goodness).

I'll keep an eye on the water, once they are back to "normal", I will then give it a week or so before buying a replacement for George.

Thanks again everyone!

Australian natives
08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
maybe ur bb died?

08-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'll make sure it is fully "cycled" again before adding anything.

08-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Any chance you can use some bio-media from one of your other tanks to reseed the filter. With ammonia that high I would also say that the BB had died off.

Sorry about your loss... :scry:

08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Check for dead shrimp in the filter or somewhere in the tank. Another member had the same problem only to find the remains of a shrimp inside the filter. Do you treat the water with something that will help with ammonia?

Sorry for your loss.

08-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Just checked, no dead shrimp. Phew!!

I treat the water with Easy Life - Fluid Filter Medium. It says it promotes the growth of "good bacteria" and gets rid of chlorine, heavy metals, ammonium, etc... I love this stuff, it seems to work better than anything else I can get around here.