PDA

View Full Version : Elegance Coral

labnjab
08-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Were debating on purchasing an elegance coral. The lfs has one for sale and we've wanted one for a long time, but I've been reading mixed reviews on their care and hardiness. From what I've read they havent been very hardy over the last few years due to them being harvested at deeper depth and not being able to adapt to "reef tank" lighting. Has anyone here had long term success with them? From what I read they like lower light and low to medium flow. We have a semi shaded area in low-medium flow that would be perfect and has plenty of space for it since its sting is deadly to other coral.

My biggest concern is nutrients. I read that they don't like "clean" water and do best in nitrates around 10. Is this true? If so then its off our list since we have 0 nitrates and very clean water (our tank is sps dominant). We've been extremely successful at growing acros and most of our sps so we've been venturing into harder to keep coral.

We don't want to buy it if it doesn't have much of a chance for success in the home aquarium. We were recently given a non-photosynthetic orange tree gorgonian and have so far kept it happy (although nothing like an elegance, it does take a little more work to keep it healthy then most other coral). Thank you for any input.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Australian Elegance corals are great corals to buy. They are hardy and will thrive in an aquarium, just make sure you have good open sand space for one. If it's not Australian collected, then I'd say they are suspect, and not likely to last. As for the "clean" water issue, I've never heard of them disliking "sterile" environments.
Best advice I can give on this one, is to try to find out where it came from and go from there. Australia = yes, anywhere else = no.

labnjab
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you :) I just sent him an email so hopefully he will either know, or be able to find out. We have a nice open area ready on the sand for it, and it will probably be one of our last additions to the 75 gallon.

labnjab
08-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Looking good. He says it was listed as an Australian elegance, but he's going to email his vendor to make 100% sure. If it is one then we'll pick it up tonightthumbs2:

Red
08-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Cant wait for pics :) The LFS sounds like a nice guy.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Just make sure you have plenty of open sand, and that it gets in an area of lower flow in the tank. The polyps on an Elegance are very large in proportion to the skeleton and can be damaged easily by excessive flow.

labnjab
08-13-2010, 10:05 PM
we went today to look at it the first time and turns out it wasnt an elegence. It was a favia. The lfs owner hadnt actually seen it, but emailed me when he got the stock order list in like he always does and they sold him it as a elegance. Its a great store and hes a great guy but hes always had trouble with vendors. Luckily its 2 buildings down from me so it wasnt a wasted trip.

It was a nice looking favia but we already had one similar to it so we passed on it. on the plus side we got a 200 gallon box of salt in trade for some work i did to his car a few weeks ago. Now were set on salt til atleast the new year.