PDA

View Full Version : Java fern & Ferts. help

Australian natives
08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
my java fern seems to be struggling, so i think i am going to get some ferts for it. but i was wondering, if i buy liquid ferts,
- can it affect my water chemistry?
- fert tabs wont work for my java fern as the roots are for anchoring right? but
would it be a good idea to get them for my other plants?
- can i add liquid ferts ANd fert tabs to plants which need it?
- what is a good brand of liquid ferts to use?
- do i need to remove my carbon for liquid ferts to work?
- are any type of fish intolerant or ferts?

thnx for ur help guys.

SunSchein89
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
my java fern seems to be struggling, so i think i am going to get some ferts for it. but i was wondering, if i buy liquid ferts,
- can it affect my water chemistry?
Depends on what chemistry you're talking about. It should only benefit the tank, if directions are followed properly.
- fert tabs wont work for my java fern as the roots are for anchoring right? but
would it be a good idea to get them for my other plants?
Yes, you are correct. It depends on what your other plants are whether they would benefit from root tabs or not.
- can i add liquid ferts ANd fert tabs to plants which need it?
Yep, not a problem
- what is a good brand of liquid ferts to use?
I like Flourish as a an overall liquid fert dose. You may need some of their macro fertilizers as well if your plants start showing deficiency, but a lot of people get enough from fish waste and what comes in your tap. I'd let your plants settle in and try to diagnose any deficiencies before wasting your money. There are, of course, other brands as well that people can recommend.
- do i need to remove my carbon for liquid ferts to work?
I would. Can't hurt, anyway.
- are any type of fish intolerant or ferts?
Not that I know of, especially the common ones in the trade. They all claim to be fish-safe.

thnx for ur help guys.

Hope I could help thumbs2:

DrNic
08-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Java ferns are pretty hearty plants. Addition of ferts shouldn't hurt them or your fish. From what I've read java ferns take up most of their nutrients from their leaves and use their roots primarily for anchoring so liquid ferts are better than root tabs.

For the most part when you add ferts to your water your mostly adding minerals that aren't found in your fish food or are completely absorbed by the fish. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but I've hear of people adding river rocks or fresh veggies to their tanks to supplement these minerals instead of ferts. Not sure how effective it is though.

Garrett
08-12-2010, 03:30 AM
I've found that my java fern-and a few other rootless plants, like stuff I have on the top of my tank-do much better when they get the Flourish organic carbon supplement in addition to regular ferts.

Australian natives
08-12-2010, 06:50 AM
thnx for the great responses. =D. i have just removed the fern from substrate and strapped it onto some volcanic rock (apparently it will grow better that way). and i am going to watch for improvement, if i see none i am thinking i will pick up some of this flourish.

Australian natives
08-12-2010, 06:51 AM
actually, i might just get some anyway, since it will only hasten growth =P.