PDA

View Full Version : Fin rot not healing

gm72
06-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Have gone through two rounds of Melafix for fancy wancy's fin rot and it has not gotten appreciably better. Advice on what other types of meds to try next? Going to Petco this weekend so I should have a good selection from which to choose.

SkarloeysMom
06-13-2007, 12:38 AM
I used Maracyn-2 on my betta and his fins started growing back after a couple of weeks. They grew back pretty long but they've never looked the same as before he had rot. They aren't as flowy as they were.

gm72
06-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Speaking of Maracyn Two, do you know if it is safe for a large pleco?

SkarloeysMom
06-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Don't know for sure but why would it not be safe for them? Are they extra sensitive? Maybe you could move them out while you treat the 55 gallon if you think they might not tolerate the meds.

gm72
06-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Scaleless fish like plecos and corys can be sensitive to meds, just trying to make sure they will be okay. Other sites think the meds are okay for plecos, but I really only trust the people here.

SkarloeysMom
06-13-2007, 02:28 AM
I really don't know for sure. I have Panda corys so I guess it would be good to know just in case I should ever have to medicate my community.

cocoa_pleco
06-13-2007, 03:10 AM
its fine. Ive treated a pleco with maracyn and he was okay with it.

If its severe fin rot on your betta, you can do a harsh stressful try.

Get a clean foam plate, and place the betta on it. Then, cover all but its tail with a damp paper towel and gently hod him down. Take a paintbrush, and wipe his tail with hydrogen peroxide. let it sit on his tail for 1 minute, and make sure NONE touches his eyes or gills. Then, put him in a net and rinse him under tap water for 30 seconds and put him back in the tank.

This is a harsh method, but ive used it and it worked

gm72
06-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Jesus, sounds like a torture room! Makes sense, though, seriously. Might have to try that, because although its not getting worse, it is certainly not clearing. What about trimming the fins?

cocoa_pleco
06-14-2007, 02:02 AM
i JUST was about to try trimming before i did the peroxide thing. I was going to get my friend to go to the hospital he works at and get me a scalpel, but i thought it might not work

gm72
06-14-2007, 02:15 AM
I have easy access to sterilized scalpel blades, I wonder if that would be safer given the risk of accidentally spilling the peroxide on fancy's body?

SkarloeysMom
06-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Jesus, sounds like a torture room! Makes sense, though, seriously. Might have to try that, because although its not getting worse, it is certainly not clearing. What about trimming the fins?

Yikes! Give the Maracyn-2 a chance to work. I swear it will. Look for white tips on the end of the fins. That means they're starting to grow back.

cocoa_pleco
06-14-2007, 04:55 AM
heres a tip.

The bacteria that cause the disease cant live in clean water, they die. If you keep the water MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR sparkling, guaranteed the bacteria die since they have no food source

Lady Hobbs
06-14-2007, 06:02 AM
I used Metafix twice for fungus and it never did anything.

cocoa_pleco
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
lol, melafix is anti-bacterial, and pimafix is fungal

gm72
06-16-2007, 02:58 AM
Okay, change in strategy. Frequent water changes. Period. We'll see what happens.

Great opinions and advice, everyone. Thanks a lot. :grin34: