PDA

View Full Version : Algae Wafers

delaniej
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I have a rubberlip pleco who seems to be doing pretty well. I've had him for 6 months or so and he is growing and it seems like I see more of him all the time,

My concern is his complete and total lack of interest in algae wafers. I have tried two different varieties, Hikari Algae Wafers and Tetra Veggies Algae Wafers (junk I know, but wanted to see if he'd try them) and every time I drop them in they go untouched, and just end up disintegrating into the water. Normally I drop them in at lights out, but have tried in the mornings as well, and I always drop them close to his favorite hang out.

He does like his vegetables and fruits. Zucchini, cucumbers etc... He also loves watermelon and even caught him sneaking a taste of a piece of cantalope I dropped in there as an experiment.

There is a large piece of driftwood in the tank, but the tank is relatively algae free. All of my water parameters test out just fine in my regular testing. I just worry that he's not getting the nutrition he needs. Should I be concerned?

Lady Hobbs
08-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I have a featherfin who doesn't touch them either.

Pleco380
08-11-2010, 12:32 AM
We can't get algae wafers in Canada anymore due to border restrictions. My pleco's love them so maybe I'll go with Pleco Logs instead. Maybe you're feeding him too much. When he tries zucchini he may prefer that much more than algae wafers.

delaniej
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I suppose it's possible I feed him too much, I usually put fresh food in there every other day and leave it in overnight. Maybe just isn't interested after that. I usually try a wafer on the off days.

Just want to be sure he's getting the nutrition he needs with just the veggies, and would like to know I had something to fall back on if I couldn't make it to the store for fresh stuff. I haven't tried any of the logs yet, I may see if he shows any interest in those.

Red
08-11-2010, 03:18 PM
He is, if you are feeding him different types of food he will be fine. He may eat alittle when the cost is clear of humans, or he is content on algae or veggies.