PDA

View Full Version : Flourish Causing the Surface to Look Like Gasoline

Distants
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Ever since I have been adding Flourish comp to my tank, the surface takes on a shiny, almost clouded appearance, somewhat similar to what spilled gasoline would look like. I have only been adding a few drops to a ten gallon tank after the weekly 30% water change. Now that I have been adding floruish iron and potassium, it has gotten even worse. To the fish this all seems harmless, and all are acting fine. But, I believe this could be blocking a good amount of light from my plants.

Water parameters:
Ph 6.4 -6.8
Gh 4
Kh 3
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5

I am using DIY CO2, which has been going since before the addition of Flourish, and has a overflow bottle, not allowing the yeast mixture into the water.

So, any ideas of what could be causing the flourish line to "react" like this? :help:

rich311k
08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
It happens, some of my tanks get it some do not. I just pretty much ignore it as it will disiapate when I do the next water change. You can float a paper towel on the surface of the tank to suck it up.

SunSchein89
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Yep, not really a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Food can cause an oily look on the water's surface too.

Distants
08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Ah, okay. Good to know it's fairly normal. Thanks. thumbs2:

Isaac
08-16-2010, 01:05 AM
What a great little thread, this was exactly the issue I noticed in my tank, nice to hear people talking about the exact same thing and more so, to hear it is no big deal! :19:

korith
08-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Sometimes that oily sheen also happens with some fish foods as well. More surface agitation can help break it down. Or like suggested a paper towel or water change works. Nothing to worry about in any case, just doesn't look nice I guess.

SpyderSpy6
08-19-2010, 01:46 AM
What type of filter do you have? And like what was stated above... do you have any surface agitation?

I know that if you add flourish comprehensive and iron too closely together (time wise) it will bind together and become visible giving your tank a cloudy look. This isn't harmful at all, and only takes a couple hours to clear up.

I had that problem and I actually emailed seachem about it.

Isaac
08-19-2010, 02:07 AM
I have an Eheim cannister filter, and a UV filter that I run about 12 hours a day.

I do use both Flourish and Flourish excell, and didn't know about the issue with using them close together, I'll try to make sure to space them out in the future.

Thanks!

SpyderSpy6
08-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Flourish comprehensive and flourish excel won't cause any clouding... it's the iron that creates the cloudiness, not the excel. If you give it about an hour between dosing I don't think you would see any cloudiness. I usually don't mind the cloudiness, because it only lasts for a little bit.

I also do my doses towards the end of the day due to work, so it will cloud by the time the light goes off and then it's clear in the morning.

SpyderSpy6
08-19-2010, 03:32 AM
To help get rid of surface film you can add one of these...

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12703

I use one on my tank and it works great. It's nothing fancy but it does the job.