PDA

View Full Version : Propagating hornwort and java fern

promise
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
With the java i wait for the new shoot with leaves to fall off or can i pluck it and attach it to the driftwood???

hornwort i just pull the rhizome till it comes away from main plant and re-plant or just weight down with stones right??

Researched both these questions and they say i can pull or leave and let it do it on its own, just wanted you guys experience's with both of these.

souly
08-09-2010, 08:33 PM
With the Fern I just pull the shoot off. When I do my water changes I check and see. I usually wait for the shoot to have small leaves growning first before I do it.

promise
08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
yeah there are around 8 plants on my tallest java all leaves and root systems are fairly big too, so just pluck and plant/secure to driftwood. cool thanks souly.

Sasquatch
08-09-2010, 11:58 PM
For the java, just pluck off the shoots and attach to a decor.

For the hornwort ... that stuff grows like a weed. Keep in mind though, it's a floating plant. Shoots weighted down on the bottom will not be at their best. Keep it floating and trim it regularly. I can usually pull a large salad bowls worth every two months from my 20g.

promise
08-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks saquatch

Just going to let it float till it gets long enough and weight the end down to the ground so it grows upwards.
i have a plan for these extra plants mwahahahaha :hmm3grin2orange:

Australian natives
08-11-2010, 12:22 PM
i have my hornwort buried, and it still grows like a mother licker.
and couldnt tell u about java fern =P, ive only had mine about a week, and i dont think it is doing to crash hot atm, tips seem to be melting, and a hole formed in one leaf. anyway gonna give it a chance, if not im getting a better light and some fert tabs.

good luck with ur shoots btw =].
Peace