PDA

View Full Version : ghost shrimp eat plants? buying shrimp

Splish
08-08-2010, 02:57 PM
The guy at the pet store said ghost shrimp eat plants... I was thinking of getting some of the cheap feeder shrimp to put in my 16 gal planted tank. Is this true?

I will also be getting some cherry shrimp from a local breeder in about a month or so.

Also, are there any fish species that get 3" or so with a nice lazy swim, that won't eat shrimp like dwarf gauramis (sp.) or angelfish

thanks!!

I have in my tank 3neons and 3 rasboras now, along with a white mystery snail and some free loading pond snails.

planted with
java moss
lileaopsis sp.
water sprite
water wisteria
echinodorus sp.
valsinaria sp.
hygrophila corymbosa
ludwigia repens

mopani wood
sand
flourite

Splish
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
what about those dwarf fw puffers? I hear they would eat my snails, i'd guess they would eat the shrimp too?

Will the cherry shrimp do a better job cleaning my tank than the ghost shrimp?

I know they look really cute compared to the ghost shrimp, but are there other benefits?

Aude
08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Ghost shrimp definitely do not eat plants...I have had at least a dozen in my 12 g consistently over the past two years...no plant damage yet.

SunSchein89
08-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I've never heard of them eating plants either. Not sure where he got that from. Dwarf puffers will pick on just about any other fish, so I wouldn't recommend it with your current stock.

jEly10
08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I have never heard of ghost shrimp eating plants either...good question though. As for the snails, I added two to my tank, that I got from my moms tank, and now every evening I am seeing more and more tiny snails. I don't mind until they start over-populating my tank.

Splish
08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
cool thanks, I am going to pick up a few ghost shrimp tonight if they have any left.

I'll skip out on the puffer i guess.