PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size

teach
08-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Im wanting to upgrade tanks sometime soon and Im trying to decide how big I need to go. I what to put my 2 sevs, 2 rams and add in an oscar, 3 convicts and 2 pictus cats. How big would I need?
Unless there is a compatiblity issue I dont want to change this stocking I just didnt know how big I should go. I also dont want to be on the verge of being overstocked.
I wont be doing this until I move to a bigger place I am wanting to start watch CL or planning a plywood tank build depending on whichever I can do cheaper.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

rich311k
08-08-2010, 03:53 AM
The rams will never work in that mix. The rest would work in a 150 maybe even 120.

Brhino
08-08-2010, 03:54 AM
150g minimum imo. Others with more experience with large fish may disagree. Also, I'd be concerned about the oscar eating the rams or the catfish.

teach
08-08-2010, 04:05 AM
I can loose the rams no prob and even the cats. So 150ish would be good?

MCHRKiller
08-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Standard 6ft 125G would be what I would say, the 150G would be best but the foot print on most 150s is the same as the 125G...they are just taller. Definatly go for a 6ft tank...the Oscar and Sevs will appreciate it.

rangur1
08-08-2010, 11:39 AM
the 6 foot 125 gal tank is definately the way to go at the minimum. your gonna want to lose the rams, they can't last in that setup.

teach
08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Ok thanks guys. Is there somthing else that would fit in my 29gal for now that would work better in this mix than the convicts. Im wanting to grow out the fish for that tank now except the oscar since I dont have a place for him.

AndorranPrince
08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
If you want rams, they work fine in a 29gal*

teach
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
If you want rams, they work fine in a 29gal*

I already have the rams If I go with the big tank I will probably sell my other tanks to fund big tank. So anything that wont go with the sevs and an oscar I will find a good home for they are the only thing Im set on having.

Demjor19
08-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I already have the rams If I go with the big tank I will probably sell my other tanks to fund big tank. So anything that wont go with the sevs and an oscar I will find a good home for they are the only thing Im set on having.

Just a word of advice...I wouldn't buy the growout fish until you have the appropriate tank for them. What if you cram all these fish in a 29 gallon tank that will quickly outgrow it, then you get in a tight spot and can't afford the larger tank? Also...If you are selling the 29 to pay for the 125...where does the 125 have a chance to properly cycle? Just some thoughts.

teach
08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Just a word of advice...I wouldn't buy the growout fish until you have the appropriate tank for them. What if you cram all these fish in a 29 gallon tank that will quickly outgrow it, then you get in a tight spot and can't afford the larger tank? Also...If you are selling the 29 to pay for the 125...where does the 125 have a chance to properly cycle? Just some thoughts.

Oh no Im not going to put all these into the 29gal that would be plain stupid:18: . I have my 2 sevs in my 55 and I was going to grow out the convicts and pictus cats in the 29 and I will buy the 125 and get it set up and cycled then sell the other tanks to reinburse part of my expence. Unless I can talk my wife into keeping all three lol.

Demjor19
08-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Oh no Im not going to put all these into the 29gal that would be plain stupid:18: . I have my 2 sevs in my 55 and I was going to grow out the convicts and pictus cats in the 29 and I will buy the 125 and get it set up and cycled then sell the other tanks to reinburse part of my expence. Unless I can talk my wife into keeping all three lol.

Ohhh Okay...now it makes sense! :ssmile:

teach
08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Ohhh Okay...now it makes sense! :ssmile:

Yeah, I have done crazy things like that in the past and will never do that again. As you become a seasoned fish keeper you realize an understocked tank is way more fun than an over stocked. I like to watch my tank more than I clean it. thumbs2: