PDA

View Full Version : Eco Complete Substrate question

zackish
06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
I just put all my eco complete I bought today and the water is very cloudy. (Like can't even see the heater or filter pump) Is it going to dissapear after a few days?
Also, is vacuuming the eco-complete harder because its more fine than regular colored gravel?
And when I go to put the plants in my tank in a few weeks is it going to stir up and get all cloudy again when I bury the plants?

Chrona
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I just put all my eco complete I bought today and the water is very cloudy. (Like can't even see the heater or filter pump) Is it going to dissapear after a few days?
Also, is vacuuming the eco-complete harder because its more fine than regular colored gravel?
And when I go to put the plants in my tank in a few weeks is it going to stir up and get all cloudy again when I bury the plants?

Can you take a picture? Eco is one of the cleanest planting substrates available, and the debris should be out of the water from settling/filtration within 24 hours.

gbbudd
06-12-2007, 01:48 AM
vaccuuming with a planted tank is not the same as for a fresh water tank. i maybe on the extreme side but i didn't do my first vaccuum for a year and a half after the tank was set up. fast growing plants are a better way to remove organics in a planted aquaria the fish waste here is fertilizer

zackish
06-12-2007, 03:28 AM
vaccuuming with a planted tank is not the same as for a fresh water tank. i maybe on the extreme side but i didn't do my first vaccuum for a year and a half after the tank was set up. fast growing plants are a better way to remove organics in a planted aquaria the fish waste here is fertilizer

Can you reccommend some good plants then? I was going to get several in each corner and maybe some smaller stuff growing across the bottom in the middle. NOthing to crowded but definitely natural looking.

Lady Hobbs
06-12-2007, 04:37 AM
I'm also surprised you had so much clouding with the eco. It's claimed to be one of the better planting substracts and actually to help with the cycling.

I did read to add the liquid and all to a new tank but if adding to an established tank to dump the liquid off first.

zackish
06-12-2007, 04:39 AM
I'm also surprised you had so much clouding with the eco. It's claimed to be one of the better planting substracts and actually to help with the cycling.

I did read to add the liquid and all to a new tank but if adding to an established tank to dump the liquid off first.

eh, we'll see what happens tomorow, it has already gotten better in half a day.

Lady Hobbs
06-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Mine is a bit cloudy yet too but I expect a clear tank by morning.

hungryhound
06-12-2007, 01:13 PM

I have eco complete as well. I have noticed that when you vacume it that if you put the gravel vacuum down in the gravel you pick up all of the small grains of eco complete:scry:

To avoid this I never put the vacuum in the gravel. I vacuum like you would sand. I hold the vacuum about an inch or 2 above the gravel and swirl it to cause the mum to be transported up into the water column where I can easily vacuum it without picking up any of my precious eco-complete.:c3:

I Have not had any problems with my eco complete making the tank cloudy. I am not saying that you are not, but are you filling the tank with a plate or piece of tupperware underneath the flow of water into the tank to keep it from mixing up the gravel. I have never had a problem using this method.