PDA

View Full Version : do we still need carbon?

labnjab
08-06-2010, 11:41 PM
We removed all the leathers and all of the softies that we could from our 75 to the 10 gallon. Now the tank is sps dominant with a hand full of lps and 2 clams. We never used carbon before haveing leather coral and we were really only running carbon because of the leathers, and now that they are gone, is there really any other need to use it? I never noticed any difference in water clarity between when we wern't using it and now. It would be nice to have 1 less thing to maintain. Thank you for any input

kaybee
08-07-2010, 02:48 AM
Low-nutrient/prestine systems are probably best for SPS corals and carbon-usage contributes to the sequestering or removal of dissolved organics and excess micro-nutrients. etc.

However. SPS corals, can also thrive in systems not utilizing carbon. You can cease carbon usage for 3 months and see if that has any effect (beneficial or negative) and then adjust your carbon use (or non-use) based on the results you observe.

labnjab
08-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Thank you. We have pretty low nutrients as it is and use tons of gfo. I'll try what you suggested and see how it goes. I think its past due for a change anyways, lol so instead I'll stop using it.