PDA

View Full Version : who knows about guppies?

saliva2002
06-11-2007, 06:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My two female guppies just lost their gravid spot overnight and I don't see any fry. I just bought a 3-way breeder to let the fry fall to safety, but how long does it take her to get pregnant again and have a new batch of fry? I don't really want to stick her in the breeder too long and drive her crazy.... thanks!

it's probably been about 5-9 hours since they lost their black gravid spots, and now the gravid spots are back.... are they going to give birth soon? i don't want to stick them in the breeder tank for too long... i just want to save a couple fry :(

ctruz1110
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
if u just want some of them, u can provide more hiding place in the tank and let her drop her fry in there.. i'm sure some will survive.

Lady Hobbs
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Someone posted in another thread about every 3 weeks.

My danio's have been chasing each other 100 miles a minute for 2 months and I've had no fry yet......(not that I care.) They're alone in a tank so if they were to have fry, you'd think they'd had had them by now.

gm72
06-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Maybe they are waiting for marriage? Let's see, we need a preacher, and where should we get the flowers? Then there's the cake and the seating arrangements and...:rolleyes:

Seriously though for Saliva, there's no way to tell when they will give birth. Female guppies can store sperm for a very long time and "become pregnant" repeatedly without actually mating. Thank the LORD my wife can't do that. Anyway, I agree that your best bet is to add a bunch of hiding places. Some fry will survive.

puddlekeeper
06-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Just let them do what comes natural ...

They breed almost as much as mice!

I got more fry than adults ... and I am breeding them as feeders.

I also make sure they are well fed on flakes so they won't find the need to eat the fry.

But they also have a lot of glass shrimp (great cleaners) in the 10 gal with them so I can over feed a bit ... and also got a bunch of both in the Brackish tank with the GSP and eel's.

gm72
06-17-2007, 07:57 PM
With fry I definitely tend to overfeed so no one will go all cannibal on each other. Frequent water changes negates the negatives of overfeeding.

MacAnthony
06-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry saliva, I missed your PM until today ( I gotta switch that to get notified ) but since you posted here, I will answer publicly. I don't seperate my danio females when they are gonna have babies. It's pretty easy to tell when they are getting ready, but as gm said, hard to tell when they will have them.

We didn't plan on keeping the fry, it was just something that happened. We noticed them in the substrate for a couple of days and got a lot out from doing a tank cleaning and water change. The kids wanted to keep them and see how they did. We eventually got a 5 gal tank then and set it up. I caught the fry just by using the aquarium vaccuum. I then used an extra medicine dropper we had laying around ( if you have kids, you are bound to have one somewhere ) and used that to catch them from the changed water. I would then transport them from there to the fry tank we had setup.

Initially we kept them in a fish bowl we had laying around, so our first batch casualties were high, but I have 5 that have matured now out of probably 120 fry we pulled out and will be big enough to be in the main tank with the other fish.

It's not standard procedure, but it's been working for us. The kids love to watch them grow.

MacAnthony
06-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Correction, 4 fry. We had 1 significantly smaller one that was from a later batch. Got home from work and he was missing as well as the 20 or so fry that I had put in there the other night. I've determined that the original batch are probably big enough to go into the main tank, so that's where they were placed.

We were worried about the glass catfish, but they seemed pretty disinterrested and it turned out that the other danio were the only ones interested in chasing the fry around. Even the novelty of that seemed to wear off after 10 minutes or so. I think it helped that I fed them quite well right after putting the new fry in.

So far so good.

MacAnthony
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Sigh, never mind.

About an hour later, we noticed one having trouble swimming on the bottom of the tank. He was missing his tail fin. By the time I got them out of the tank, I couldn't find the 4th one.

I'm down to 3, but they are back in the fry tank. I suck at this. :(