PDA

View Full Version : getting snails off plants

SharkBait1992
08-06-2010, 05:08 AM
hi last time i bought plants they brought snails that i didnt see with them im just wondering how to rid any future plants i buy of snails before they get in my tank

~Col~
08-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Soak them in condy's crystals (Potassium permanganate) for about 30-45 minutes. Rinse them well. It should kill off any snails and eggs. Although I've found that it's good to give it a thorough check for eggs before putting in the tank to be sure.

We buy it from our local pharmacy. It turns the water purple and your hands will have a brown tinge afterwards but it washes off your hands in a day or two. Just make sure you rinse the plants until the water is clear afterwards.

SharkBait1992
08-06-2010, 06:23 AM
thanks ill have to go get some of that for when i get my new tank.

~Col~
08-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Some people recommend soaking them for an hour and then QTing them for a few weeks to be sure the snails are gone. Only use enough to make the water pale purple, which isn't much, maybe 1/4 teaspoon depending on the size of the bucket.

PP is a bit caustic so your plants will sometimes come out looking a little wilted etc, but should perk up once in the tank.

SharkBait1992
08-06-2010, 07:36 AM
alright thanks again for your help, im glad i wont have to deal with snails in my new tank