PDA

View Full Version : New Betta

HeatherB
08-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Here is the little guy I got from Walmart today.

Here's the story: Sorry if you already read it!
I was in the store and gazed at the bettas, and I really liked this yellow/white one. But I went down the aisle and tried to talk myself out of it. I hear these kids saying "yeah I'm shaking them too". So I peek around the corner and these two boys- about 6 to 10 years old are shaking the containers the bettas are in. There was like, four out in this particular spot and they picked everyone up and shook them. One kid even kept one turned over so most of the water drained out. This was enough.

I walked past and said "You shouldn't be shaking the fish. That is bad for them. How would you like it if someone did that to you?"

Then they tell me that they are not. So I stand there and wait until they leave. Then I take the one that has barely any water and find some water conditioner in the cabinet above to make him some more water. Thank god they were not locked like usual. As I'm doing that the same boys come back with their mother. She asks me why I was 'yelling' at her kids and I told her very politely that I was not yelling at them. I had asked them to stop what they were doing. They were shaking these fish, spilling water on the floor etc. And she tells me "they are just fish' and when I told her that that may be so but her children should not be doing that. Then I see her kids with their hands in the tanks. I tell her about it, and she says, 'boys will be boys' and walks away AFTER telling me to F*** off.

So here he is! Any name suggestions??
In his cup!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x261/beachgurl_1988/Aug2010176.jpg

He colored up alot in his tank!! He actually has some blue in him!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x261/beachgurl_1988/Aug2010178.jpg

Not too bad of a setup. It just has fabric plants and one anubias-it is lighted by a desk lamp-so it has to be low tech.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x261/beachgurl_1988/Aug2010182.jpg

HeatherB
08-06-2010, 03:15 AM
OMG! I did not notice how GROSS my tank glass was. Please excuse!

Pleco380
08-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Name him Lucky because he's lucky he got a good owner. Those kids were terrible, and then the mother was bad too. Some people are just like that. Good luck with the fish. You did the right thing.

~Col~
08-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Snap! I was going to say name him "lucky".

EmmanuelJB
08-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Congrats on the new betta! He looks great!

HeatherB
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Hmm... Lucky..... I like it!

He has really colored up! When I first looked at him in the store, he was mostly yellow/white and then after those kids were shaking him, he seemed really almost like, gray. Now he is some brilliant colors. Cream colored body, blue fins tipped in orange/brown/red.

AlabamaFish
08-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Poor baby!! Why do people make excuses like "boys will be boys?" Like that gives them reign to be cruel. I have twin boys who are 4, and you can bet they would know better. They love fish! :ssmile: I'm glad he found you. Lucky is perfect for him.

iheartbettas
09-18-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry, but for someone to say that they're just fish makes me angry. I can't believe how insensitive people can be. I can't wait till the mother realizes she has monsters for sons.

Bretzz
09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I have one exactly like that! I picked him because I've never seen a yellow Betta before. He has the blue in the fins and everything :O

Cool

HeatherB
09-18-2010, 04:33 PM
There twins!!!

Maisy
09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
I can't believe someone would do that to a poor fish!
You handled it pretty well, though. I think that mother was wrong covering for such a bad behavior.

He's absolutely gorgeous! I was looking on aquabid at the bettas (ending up being quite envious :P) and your looks exactly like one I was showing to my family last night, only he's a veiltail instead of the crowntail that we saw.

Good luck with Mr. Betta, he's 'lucky' to have such a good owner now. :)

HeatherB
09-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks. I tried him out with some tankmates recently, an otto and some snails. Haven't tested him with shrimp-but we will have to see.

I think perhaps this weekend he will be upgrading to a 5 gallon.