PDA

View Full Version : sparkling gourami pics

kimmers318
04-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I finally have the pics ready...they aren't great so when they get over their shyness I will try to get some better ones. Especially once they color up!
Here is a link to aquahobby gallery page that has a beautiful shot of one, plus peoples comments
www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_sparkling.php (http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_sparkling.php)

all 6 I brought home in one shot

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/tetras%20and%20gourami/sparklinggouramigroup.jpg

These show some of the iridescent coloring that I hope will brighten up for me in time.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/tetras%20and%20gourami/sparklinggourami8.jpg

And last but not least....one peeking out in my aquarium....I may have posted this one already but here it is again.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/tetras%20and%20gourami/sparklinggourami.jpg
Sorry the one pic is so large....I reduced it to a 3x2 before posting it on photobucket....reduced it thru photobucket to a much smaller pic and it is still coming out huge. Someday I will get good at this!

William
04-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Nice pics. Don't worry about one becoming to large.

rollie
04-21-2006, 07:12 PM
NICE PICTURES. sparkling gourami ? what breed are they? never seen them before. would some one shed more infor on these, please. new breed, old breed or what.

William
04-21-2006, 07:14 PM
They are alos called Pygmy Gourami which I think might be a more commonly used name. (atleast in Europe)

rollie
04-21-2006, 07:18 PM
i had heard of them, but never seen one. thank!

kimmers318
04-22-2006, 03:20 AM
Boy, you do know your fish don't ya William! I love a lot of the gourami's, mostly the male for their coloring of course, and the sparkling/pygmy's were recommended to me in another forum because it is hard to keep alot of the larger gourami's together 1)because of their size 2)aggressiveness with too many males. I just don't have the tank room for too many larger fish because I am a "community girl". I love to see different kinds of fish in a tank, with all of the color ranges and such. My 64 is an active colorful tank with different species playing together and such. It is fun to watch different fish swim around together and chase each other back and forth. And morning feeding time (which is when they get some type of frozen or live food) is an absolute frenzy with fish everywhere!

William
04-22-2006, 06:03 AM
feeding frenzys are always nice ;-)

Neithan
12-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh I just had to tell someone! I heard the first croaking from my sparklers tonight :) I'm guessing that means they're settling in quite alright ;) Now I just have to wait and see if they're willing to breed on their own or if I actually have to lower the water level for that to happen. There should be more than enough floating plants for their nest building, as the entire surface is covered with riccia and lesser duckweed.

:malelovies:

jman
12-15-2006, 11:01 PM
nice simply nice the fish is still impressive.

Abbeys_Mom
12-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Where are the pictures, I'm not seeing them :(

jman
12-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Where are the pictures, I'm not seeing them :(
they are within the reading before the first break.

www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_sparkling.php

Neithan
12-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Neither am I come to think of it o.O

Edit: We're talking about the pics mentioned after that. Atleast I am....

jman
12-15-2006, 11:17 PM
oops o yeah i forgot to put that other there.

kimmers318
12-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Sorry everyone! I had rearranged my photos in photobucket into different folders for easier finding for me and didn't realize that it would break the links of the ones I had already posted. I edited my post to add pics back so you should be able to see them now!

Abbeys_Mom
12-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I can see...I CAN SEE! lol

They are awesome little fish. I want to run to my lfs and pick mine up RIGHT NOW. They just got a shipment in for me yesterday.

Neithan
12-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Gorgeous! Wish I could get as nice pictures of my fish. I've been thinking of compiling a collection of pictures where there WAS a fish when I pressed the button... since that's what I mostly end up with =P

jman
12-16-2006, 10:51 PM
have you tried feeding than taking pics or are they to roudy

Neithan
12-17-2006, 01:01 AM
They're too small and quick for my camera lol...

jman
12-17-2006, 01:04 AM
o o.k. they are like the salvanni's i breed when they are small. Only i could catch them because they stood under the parents.

Neithan
12-17-2006, 04:40 PM
After a few hours and some patience (which I don't have much of!) I finally got pictures of the little rascals! Not very good ones, but atleast you can see it's a fish lol.. the other fish in one of the pics are dwarf rasboras.

*ponders on how to get her hands on kimmers camera*

Abbeys_Mom
12-17-2006, 06:27 PM
I just got some sparkling gouramis today. Four very small ones. I'll post pics soon.

kimmers318
12-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Neithan...I don't have any kind of special camera....it is a simple kodak 740. The thing that works is that I have spent time patiently waiting in front of my tanks snapping shots as quickly as I can and now my fish are so used to the camera they think it is something normalthumbs2: . I have used macro, sports and normal mode, try to keep camera at a slight angle to minimize glass glare, and have focus ready for when a fish swims in front of the lense. They no longer run at feeding time when I have the camera out, so that helps.

Severus
12-18-2006, 03:56 AM
Very nice kimmers. They are impressive looking

Neithan
12-18-2006, 05:52 AM
You mentioned patience... =P I don't have a lot of that and my camera hogs batteries like mad, so it has even less patience than I do. On occasion I happen to get some fairly good pictures, but the darn camera takes its sweet time between me pressing the button and actually taking the picture that it's more a question of luck than patience or skill (on my part).

The settings I tend to use are either a night scene (if I have enough light), something that is possibly a macro (the selector has a little flower on it...) and sport. I've also messed around with various other settings (like exposure), but I can never remember which ones were actually any good the next time I'm inspired to take pictures o.O Should perhaps start making notes -.-

Anyway, keep up the good work with the pictures :) It's nice to know that someone atleast gets them! :thumb:

kimmers318
12-18-2006, 12:10 PM
The ability to snap pics quickly was one of the reasons I chose this camera, it snaps them off quite quickly for a digital. Have you tried investing in some rechargeable batteries for your camera? Everyone I know who has a Kodak model has nothing but good to say about it.

Neithan
12-18-2006, 03:07 PM
I have several pairs of rechargable batteries, it eats them up almost as quickly lol.. maybe I should just get some new ones and see if that helps. Might be the batteries that are dying on me.