PDA

View Full Version : How tall will java fern get?

DrNic
08-05-2010, 05:29 PM
How tall will java fern get? I've been growing it in my tanks for a couple of years now but the plants seem to max out around 8-10 inches. If I pick individual leaves from my narrow leaf plants they will get REALLY tall and look like grass but I can't seem to get an entire plant to do it. I was hoping to use them as a back-boarder but only if I can figure out how to get them taller.

Does anyone have pics of how big these plants can get? Thanks!

Red
08-05-2010, 05:33 PM
That is a big fern around 10". I have seen a few a little bit bigger, but that seems about right. That is a $$$ plant too.

rich311k
08-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Ten inches to a foot sounds right. I have filled tanks qwith the stuff. Under a bit of light it can really grow.

DrNic
08-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah I've always had REALLY great luck with these plants. They grow like crazy sideways but I was hoping to get them about 18-20 inches to use as a backdrop in my 75G tank. I love their look and the comets don't seem to be pulling on them as much as they do with my other plants. Hmm.... I'll have to see if I can find something else to use as a backdrop I guess.

rich311k
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Tie them to wood so they are a little higher. You should be able to come up with a way to hide the back of the tankwith them.