PDA

View Full Version : Avacado?

Mark Lathrop
06-11-2007, 06:17 AM
My friend says he's got a buddy with avacado plants in his tank. They require almost no maintanence or fertelizer he claims, just water and light. He has a bunch in his tank and all he did was drop the seeds from an avacado into the tank and they grew. Has anyone else tried this? I just bought an avacado tonight, lol.

I hate those my friend of a friend of a friend stories, but he's reliable and I have a spare tank to try this on now. Might turn out to be a good hardy aquarium plant.:ssmile:

GoldLenny
06-11-2007, 01:57 PM
I never heard of this so I did a Google of 'avocado plant in aquarium' and never got any hits that are applicable so then I Googled how to grow an avocado plant and found this...
http://ak.essortment.com/growingavocado_rwfi.htm

It doesn't seem to be applicable to growing in an aquarium.

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Novel idea if it works and it appears to work for this other person. I wish Hosta could be used in fish tanks! My friend has tons of it and it's such a lovely plant with huge leaves but doesn't like light. They are bog plants so I doubt would work in a fish tank.

If you want to try the avacodo, I would try to get it going outside of the tank first to make sure the pit doesn't rot before it can take off.

Mark Lathrop
06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
From GoldLenny's link, it does look like it wouldn't apply to aquariums. I started mine off today, and will try growing one outside of the tank too. I'll update as I see progress.

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2007, 03:14 PM
The beatings will continue until moral improves!

I laugh every time I see this!

Incredulous_Ed
06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, actually, I Think it could work. The way you start off an avacado tree is taking the pit and putting 4 toothpicks in it and floating it in a jar of water near a window. The stem and leaves will grow out above the jar and the roots will grow into the water. But, you can't leave it there too long or it will rot. So maybe you can grow some in your tank like that but it would need a light source and I guess would be classified as a floating plant. Just my 2 cents :/