PDA

View Full Version : Just not going well....

Sarkazmo
08-05-2010, 02:57 PM
So this white male DT we've had for a while just kept getting bloody tips to some of his fins and no matter what we did he just wouldn't get better. He'd had this problem in the past but we were able to clear it up and he'd go about his merry way being PO'd at the fish next to him. So he doesn't respond this time. Just gets worse and worse until he dies. Bad enough that we never could settle on a name for him, now he's gone.

Two days go by...

My partner comes to bed and she's crying. I'm thinking: Great, who died now!? I figured it was one of the guinea pigs or the rabbits because they're all getting old and have had pretty good, long lives. Actually been preparing myself because I know it's coming. But no, it was my blue Crown Tail, Snuffleupagus. I'd checked him earlier in that day and he seemed just like he always had and he'd been eating well. Then dead, no visible reason or cause...

So this depresses me greatly. Some of you know that I suffer from depression on a daily basis. This surprise death really hit me hard because he was one of my desktop betta that sit right next to my monitor. I'd moved him to a temp home to grow out his finnage and moved in my flax HMPK, Scorpio.

Another couple days go by and I'm still depressed. I had to go out today. First thing the strap on my shoe broke then I've got a flat rear tire on my truck... I wanted to go to the store when there was fewer shoppers as it's less stressful for me. Everyone in the city decided to go to the store I went to... Did my shopping (several problems there) and was just leaving when the sky opened and it rained like a monsoon. I'm in the parking lot, soaked to the bone, trying to get everything from the buggy to the truck bed, swearing profusely as I watch most of our food budget getting soaked.

I get home, worst mood I've been in in years after almost wrecking my truck, going around a downed tree in the road, because of my shoe strap... all I want to do is get dried off and sit in the AC for a while to calm down... and the power's out and it's pretty much pitch dark in my home. I tripped and caught myself on a bookcase... the bookcase right next to where some of my other Betta are. After about 10-15 minutes I realize the Betta's temp homes are not there. When I tripped I managed to knock all three onto the floor... When I finally realized what'd happened it was a scramble to find and save the Betta. All three were found and seem to be fine but I'll have to keep an eye on them for disease.

So yeah, I've had a wonderful last few days.

Sark

rothenb1
08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Oh man. Just one of those days/weeks where hardly anything works to your benefit. I know it's hard right now but it'll get better soon. :11:

korith
08-05-2010, 03:42 PM
That's a horrid streak of bad luck. Let's hope the streak is over.

Rue
08-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh gosh! That's an awful day/s. :scry: I hope all 3 bettas are fine from the bookshelf crash.

I have days like that too...it's just one thing after another...I don't know if it helps you to know we ALL have days like that...

...lol...well, not that depression really needs an excuse...if you know what I mean...but don't let one bad day (or even a week!) colour the good ones...{{{huggy}}}

souly
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Seems like everyones having fish troubles. I just lost my one of my tetras, spardas problem, and now this. Mine may not be as serve, but its seems like a lot of fish issues are going around this week.

HeatherB
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I feel for you! I had one of those days today. I got off early, and decided to go to Walmart. Not many people there at Noon on a thursday right? NOPE. Damn place was packed.Found a spot, spent some time there While there I was looking at the bettas, trying to talk myself out of one. And these two boys came around- no parents- and picked up the four containers the bettas were in and started shaking them. Seriously? After I said something to them, their mother came and asked me what my problem was. I told her what her kids were doing and she called me a nasty word and spouted off. Came out to find someone dinged my car with there door. Damn.

So I get home and decide to do a waterchange. First the drain is slow and I don't notice until there is about a 1/2 inch of water and cat litter caked on the bathroom floor because the sink overflowed. So my tanks sit with little water while I clean that up. Then I go to fill them and the hose pops of the actual part you put in the water. That resulted in a carpet machine sucking up probably a gallon of water off my carpet.

Then after all this, my cat tries to attack my new betta that I got. UGH.

Sorry for your bad week.

CichlidTetra
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Sorry buddy. That sounds really suckish! I hope things get better for you. I'm only 14, and I've had plenty of days like this. I used to keep frogs, but them about $300 died all in the same week due to an airborne disease :( Even though something as little as a frog or a fish die, it kinda upsets you, because you'll try your hardest, and things just won't work out. Take care :)

-Ryan

Sarkazmo
08-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the commiseration.

And these two boys came around- no parents- and picked up the four containers the bettas were in and started shaking them. Seriously? After I said something to them, their mother came and asked me what my problem was. I told her what her kids were doing and she called me a nasty word and spouted off.

Grrr.... I'd have chewed someone a new one. And the moment the woman said something to me I'd tear her down right on the spot and inform her that I was turning her children in to the authorities for animal cruelty.

Brats at the local Walmart think it's fun to dump the males in together to see them kill each other. One AHole even went so far as to crumple up the betta cup so there was nothing to put the fish back in.

Sark

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
You have to turn negative thoughts around when depression sits in, I've found.

The betta........you made a good home for him all the while you had him. You rescued him from a life that would not have been so great possibly. They do have a short lifespan compared to many fish and dying is just a fact of life we all go thru with our fish. Be glad it wasn't a member of your family.
Feel bad he's gone but don't dwell on it.

Your shoe......the strap broke. Really just an annoyance. You have other shoes to wear, right?

Flat tire.......part of having a vehicle. At least it hasn't been repossessed.

The rain......makes the grass and flowers grow, cleans the air and eliminates wild fires which is worse than getting our hair wet.

The grocery store was busy........pain, I know, but isn't it nice to have money to buy those groceries?

"Almost" wrecked your truck? Be glad it was almost and you did not.

You have a partner to share your life with, have animals you care for, have a roof over your head and food to eat. As long as the sun shines each day and you have no life threatening disease, life is good.

AlabamaFish
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I recently lost my little male Nannacara anomala. No outward appearances of disease. I've been really down about it because he was such a personable little guy, and he was JUST starting to show some really nice color! And the same week, one my my largest apple snails managed to get out and fall to his death :scry: Soooooo, I know how much of a downer it can be. Sorry you've had such a bad time.

Rue
08-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Flat tire.......part of having a vehicle. At least it hasn't been repossessed.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: