PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer?

zackish
06-11-2007, 04:51 AM
I was just wondering if someone could reccommend me some fertilizers and good substrates for plants in a well planted aquarium. I am going out to buy the stuff tomorow and was just wondering what I should look for.

cocoa_pleco
06-11-2007, 04:52 AM
plants like small-grain substrate like sand and they like CO2 systems. Nutrafin fertilizer sticks are once-a-year and apparently are good

Chrona
06-11-2007, 05:27 AM
Ecocomplete, Flourite (need to wash this....alot), Soilmaster Select are all good choices. Don't worry about ferts for the few 2 weeks of the tank's life.

zackish
06-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Ecocomplete, Flourite (need to wash this....alot), Soilmaster Select are all good choices. Don't worry about ferts for the few 2 weeks of the tank's life.

I can't seem to find any of those 3 substrates at the local chainstores (petco, petsmart), think my Local pet stores will have it?

Chrona
06-11-2007, 05:34 AM
I can't seem to find any of those 3 substrates at the local chainstores (petco, petsmart), think my Local pet stores will have it?

Yes, most LFS should have either Eco or Flourite. SMS is only sold through Lesco stores, so see if you can find a dealer near you. They ship to their store for free so you just pick it up.

zackish
06-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Yes, most LFS should have either Eco or Flourite. SMS is only sold through Lesco stores, so see if you can find a dealer near you. They ship to their store for free so you just pick it up.

How would I go about finding a Lesco dealer and is the soilmaster the clean stuff?

Chrona
06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
How would I go about finding a Lesco dealer and is the soilmaster the clean stuff?

Soilmaster is about as clean as Eco (pretty clean)

http://www.lesco.com/

Type in your zip code

gbbudd
06-12-2007, 02:21 AM
plants above water or below water pretty much have the same needs the washing of florite substrate removes the smaller particals which plants love as mentioned above the smaller the better. i added latorite to my tank which is a very fine dust when it wa first set up and no matter how slow and careful not to disturb the tank it clowded up and bad. it literaly took weeks before you could call it crystal clear and even today as i replant cutttings to the substrate the tanks clowds up for 4 hours or more not to the point of the begging set up but you can definately tell i was in there

zackish
06-12-2007, 03:27 AM
plants above water or below water pretty much have the same needs the washing of florite substrate removes the smaller particals which plants love as mentioned above the smaller the better. i added latorite to my tank which is a very fine dust when it wa first set up and no matter how slow and careful not to disturb the tank it clowded up and bad. it literaly took weeks before you could call it crystal clear and even today as i replant cutttings to the substrate the tanks clowds up for 4 hours or more not to the point of the begging set up but you can definately tell i was in there

Well I got my eco complete today and just dumped all of it in about 12 hours ago and its still cloudy but getting clearer. Before I couldn't see 2 inches into the tank, now I can see my pantyhose with shrimp in them and just barely the heater on the back wall.