PDA

View Full Version : aquarium safe glues?

Australian natives
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
is Selleys Araldite safe to use in my aquarium?
what is it is a 2 part adhesive
1 part 1000mL/L liquid epoxy resin
which u mix with the other solution of 80mL/L Tertiary Amine.
and then it hardens, it claims to be completely water proof.
was just wondering if using this to glue rocks together is safe?

Australian natives
08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
oh... this guy claims he dropped a live clam & broke the shell, so he glued it back together with araldite and it is still alive 6 months later...

Northernguy
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I think there is a brand of Gorilla glue that is aquarium safe.
Not sure of any others or the claim.lol

Australian natives
08-05-2010, 12:42 PM
i think i will give it a shot.. i am yet to soak the wood. and it will be going into a 55g and i only used as much as would stick to then end of a pin when i dipped it in once. so a miniscule amount.

Northernguy
08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
This thread should have been titled "Can I glue a shell back together?"

I have no idea if that is a good idea or not. Do you add any source of calcium to theur food?
Inverts need it to repair any damaged shells.

Australian natives
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
haha, no i didn't do that, that was an example of some other guy using araldite ON a fish, and it not dying, i was wondering if i can use it on a piece of driftwood and not worry about it hurting my fish.
but i just decided to risk it, since i was using such a hugely miniscule amount, and they claim it to be inert when dry.

Reefkeeper18
08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
would the glue be safe to glue coral frags that come attached to many types of coral with?(I would glue it to live rock)

Australian natives
08-31-2010, 01:48 AM
wouldn't be able to say sorry. apparently it is inert once it dries, so after that it is fine to put in tanks. put u would have to dry the rock out, then glue and leave it out of the water for an extended period of time. so i think anything attached would die.

barney
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi, I have used "Geocel Aquarium sealant", it dries really quick and is water tight. Not sure if this type of glue is what you are looking for.

funkman262
11-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I believe any glue containing Cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient should work fine in the aquarium. I use the Loctite brand super glue gel for both my FW and SW tanks and it works great.

Australian natives
11-11-2010, 03:49 PM
well just to let you know, it has worked. the broken fragment is reattached and it has been in the aquarium for over a month with no issues.

bushwhacker
11-12-2010, 01:07 AM
super glue gel works great i have heard of many salt water keepers usin it for reefs