PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Betta

Mandimoo5885
08-04-2010, 05:02 AM
I am worried about my betta, Wasabi. He's been laying down a lot lately. And by "a lot lately," I mean most of the time. There are no other visible symptoms. He is in a 2.5 gallon tank with gravel in the bottom. I have a 50 watt water heater in the tank that keeps it at about 76-78 degrees F. I also have a filter (Elite mini) that I keep on the lowest setting so that the water isn't too turbulent for him. I put drinking water in his tank (bottled reverse osmosis soft water), and use an additive to raise the pH to 7. I also add Atison's Betta SPA and a small pinch of aquarium salt. I feed him freeze dried blood worms (daily) as that's all I can get him to eat. (He is still eating regulary) When he started acting lethargic, it was recommended that I try putting an antibiotic in his water, which I did. I tried Lifegard All-in-one treatment and administered it as directed. It doesn't seem to have helped at all. I also took a sample of his water to Petco to have it tested and I was told that everything looked good. I really like my little betta and I don't like that he doesn't seem to feel well. Any suggestions on how to help him?

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx292/mandimoo5885/lazywasabi.jpg

Northernguy
08-04-2010, 05:15 AM
I never understood why bottled water is used.It usually causes problems.
Regular tap water with some dechlorinator would be fine and cheaper.
Playing with the ph with chemicals is also not recommended.A betta can handle most ph as long as it is not up and down,which is very hard on the fish.
I would crank up the filter to full and add some melafix and aquarium salt.

How was the tank cycled?
How much water do you change a week?

souly
08-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Also, how long have you had him for?

Hanna
08-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I also recommend to get yourself your own testkit: Freshwater MasterTestKit from API, rather than relying on the pet shop staff... unfortunately so many forum members already mentioned how unreliable the info one can get there can be....

Tigerfishy
08-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Aw, I'm sorry to see him like this...

I also just use tap water dechlorinated with Prime for my boys. As mentioned, the pH chemicals can end up causing a pH crash, which of course is not ideal.

A side note about Melafix, I would be careful with dosing, if in doubt, I would just use a slight underdose to be safe. Good luck, I hope he perks up soon.

It may be age, my Neptune just lay about all the time when he got older. Poor boy, keep a close eye on him, and keep us updated.

Mandimoo5885
08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
I went and bought some melafix today, so we'll give that a try. The reason I use bottled water is because the water in our city the water is so alkaline that it is literally off the charts of the pH test kit. I've only had Wasabi for about 6-7 months, but you never know how old the boys are when you buy them... Thanks for the suggestion. Hope this stuff works...

ballyhoo
08-08-2010, 05:49 AM
try mixing up his food.
Feed him a cooked pea, he could be constipated.

souly
08-08-2010, 06:58 AM
He's still laying his side, but eats right? I'd try the pea trick, other than that I think it might be swim blatter...

Mandimoo5885
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
I tried the Melafix as directed but nothing has changed. I gave him a pea (after not feeding him his worms for 2 days) but he won't eat it. I tried putting a mirror up to his tank which used to make him flare his fins, but he just swam away from it and then laid back down. :( Any other suggestions for dealing with constipation or swim bladder problems?

dnphillips08
08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I would do more water changes, my Bettas will both hang out on the bottom when the water quality is low. It happened a lot when I was cycling and learning everything, when I replace the water they seem to swim around a lot more. Based of my experience I would say your water quality is the problem or as mentioned he may be old.

MCHRKiller
08-15-2010, 11:10 PM
My first concern is that straight RO/Drinking water contains very little to no trace elements or minerals which fish need...try mixing the water with atleast a little bit of tap water. Right now I would do a 50% WC with 75% RO/25% tap. Next look into your water parms, and just how much movement is in the tank...bettas are definatly not good swimmers. I would try to cut your circulation even more than it already is. A 2.5G tank is definatly not alot of room to get away from any water movement.

iheartbettas
09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
how is this betta doing? To me, it sounds like the pH adjustment made him sick.