PDA

View Full Version : Brother's betta not in good shape, help!

Tigerfishy
08-03-2010, 10:41 AM
My brother's betta is not doing well. On Friday I noticed he was floating sideways at the top of the tank when resting. Then when he saw me come over, he swam towards me....on his side.

Tested his water immediately, returned a nice 0, 0, 5. I noticed he had a small scrape on his side. Scales still there, but I gave half a dose of anti bacterial med in case he picked up a little something from that. It is a 5 day treatment to end today.

On Saturday morning he seemed better, swimming upright and acting normal. By Monday, he had gone back to sideways, but not as bad as before. He always floats up the way, not down, and from tomorrow I'll be giving him a daily water change with Vita-Chem to see if this helps. He is getting garlic soaked foods as well.

Does anyone have any further suggestions, or knows what this is so I can help him out more? I read up on swim bladder, but that seems to make them sink, and this guy floats...

Any help appreciated thanks!

Australian natives
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
is he listless? like just floating around? or is he actively swimming about? tbh it could be a lot of things, try to spot some other symptoms. how old is the fish? are his fins clamped or diminishing? is there enough oxygen in the water?
sorry i could not help more.
good luck

rich311k
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
That does not sound good. Mine get lazy and lathagic when they are getting older. How old is he?

Lady Hobbs
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Sounds like swim bladder has gotten him. And it's not often curable.

Tigerfishy
08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
OK guys, thanks for the quick replies.

Australian: he actually does both to confuse things more. He hangs about when no-ones there, but swims to see you and moves about when we are there. We have had him since Jan from an LFS (as we know they can be any age from there...), no fin clamping, they are in very good shape, he's always been proud of his finnage lol, still eating like a pig. He does not have the grey colouring under his chin which I think shows an older betta.

Rich: Just had him since Jan.

Lady Hobbs: That's what I guessed, but all I could find was about the fish sinking, I didn't want to break the news to him if I could find no info about floating as a symptom. I guess it makes sense though...

ballyhoo
08-08-2010, 05:55 AM
how big is the tank?
what are you running equipment wise?
Pictures would also be helpful