PDA

View Full Version : Oh-oh, barbs

gm72
06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Just now doing a water change for the 55 gallon barb/dannio tank. One of my green tiger barbs has a red area just posterior to the anal fin. He is swimming, at times, on his head. Color is slightly more pale than the others. The other barbs are nipping at the reddened area. Septicemia maybe? Water parameters are fine, temps normal, all other fish look fine. Nothing new added or changed in the tank. This has to have happened over the last 24 hours or so.

Ideas?

Rue
06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I have no idea...sorry...obviously it's serious if he can't swim properly...:(

nanaglen2001
06-10-2007, 09:10 PM
A picture would be great.

gm72
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Can't get a good enough shot to allow good visualization of the affected area. I so need a new camera.

Just looks like a blood red area immediately behind the anal fin. No other marks on him or any of the other fish.

Drumachine09
06-10-2007, 11:45 PM
hemoragic septicemia

cocoa knows alot about it

gm72
06-10-2007, 11:47 PM
That's what I was thinking. Interestingly enough there was another post on the subject yesterday or today, can't remember which. I think the fish is as good as gone if I am understanding the disease properly.

cocoa_pleco
06-11-2007, 02:00 AM
It often starts as a red lining on the fins and then the stomach gets red. When i first saw the red lining on my cichlids top fin, i was like WTF, but then the other symptoms came. The fish often get popeye for no reason, and thats what my cichlid got. Its a secondary infection from septicemia

gm72
06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't think there is a treatment for it, is there? I don't understand what could have happened. Nothing in the tank has changed.

cocoa_pleco
06-11-2007, 10:42 PM
sorry to tell you, theres no treatment. The disease just pops out of the blue. First, my cichlid got popeye for no reason, and i couldnt figure it out. 5 days later ,the lining of the fins. The popeye was a secondary infection.

If hes not too bad, wait it out and see if he can hold. If he gets lethargic, best to put him out of his misery since it hurts to get your blood system and heart deteriorated.

Sorry this had to happen to you too. Nasty disease

gm72
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
There must be a cause from somewhere. Any possible ideas? DAMNIT! VERY upset over this.

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think that's it. I read about anal areas being red and inflammed but can't remember what it was. Will go in search.

Back again and here is one write up.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/fecal_disorders.html

I will look for others. If I'm not mistaken, hemoragic septicemia starts in the fins and moves into the body area. It sounds as yours only has the anal area affected.

gm72
06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Just found a zebra dannio with three red spots right around the anal fin on the body. Don't see anything on the fins at all. He's not looking good. This is not good.

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2007, 11:05 PM
BTW.......this is also treatable. Cichlid_Man's fish all had it if you remember and he treated with many doses of antibiotics.

Hemmorahagic Septicemia

Cause
Bacterial, common in the Live-bearers and Goldfish.
Symptoms
Blood-Red streaks on the fins close to the body, without any signs of skin damage.
Treatment
Any of the antibiotic treatments, like Tetracycline. Available by many brand names.

gm72
06-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Will try a broad spectrum antibiotic tomorrow morning. I've been researching just now, too.

Thank you for the help, I will keep you posted.

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Dang it. I've seen pictures of this in fish but can't remember where. Add some salt to your tank. That can often help with bacterial problems but I would get some bacterial meds when you go to town. If you have bottom dwellers, remove them from the tank. They're be fine in a pail with an airstone for a while.

It could also have internal worms.

gm72
06-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Have a large pleco in there, could probably move him to the other 55 for temporary. This is horrible. Thanks again for the help.

Lady Hobbs
06-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I used some stuff before called Lifeguard. It was $10 and claimed to be able to treat ulcers, internal and external parasites, fin rot, ICK, and a whole slew of problems. It's hard to treat something if you don't know for sure what it is so I got this stuff hoping that whatever my bala shark had, it would cure him. He did recover but whether from this med or not I can't say.

I also have to wonder about internal worms. You said the other fish were biting at this area so possibly he is passing worms. It's hard to venture a guess.