PDA

View Full Version : Q on shrimp reproduction and predation

Garrett
07-31-2010, 09:57 PM
So I've got a bunch of RCS in a 10g that I'm also using right now as a fry grow-out tank. The shrimp seem to be unbothered by their fishy counterparts, but I haven't noticed a whole lot of new shrimp since the fry have been introduced. It's kind of hard to keep track, but they certainly aren't being actively hunted by the fry. Right now the largest of the cory fry is probably about 3/4ths of an inch long, the largest guppy fry maybe half an inch. What I'm wondering is if the fry are big enough now that they could be picking off the free-swimming shrimp spawn as they come across it. I haven't really ever gotten a good look at shrimp just after birth to get a good handle on their size, but I'm wondering if this could be an issue. In contrast, the snails in the tank are definitely reproducing, to the point my buddy's loaches have fresh snacks every couple of weeks.

korith
07-31-2010, 11:16 PM
With the red cherry shrimp, the baby shrimp are born as miniature versions of adults. They can be hard to see as well, since they are a clear whitish color and around 2-3mm in size. The fish probably will leave the adults alone for the most part, depending on the fish of course. The guppies are probably the culprit for sure.

Most fish will see them as a source of food. About the only fish I've seen leave rcs personally have been a few types of microrasbora that stay under an inch in size and otocinclus.

Garrett
07-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Well, right now these guys are fry themselves, we're talking all still well under an inch long. I've been moving them to my main tank as they get big enough to survive in there.

I'm going to have a guppy problem in a few weeks, but that's another issue. So you're saying that 1 inch frontier is generally when they feel like they can take live food like young shrimp?

korith
08-01-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm going to have a guppy problem in a few weeks, but that's another issue. So you're saying that 1 inch frontier is generally when they feel like they can take live food like young shrimp?

I would say it really depends on the type of fish not the fish's size. Just in my experience the microrasboras have left the shrimp alone. Otocinclus from everything I have read are considered generally safe to keep with shrimp.