PDA

View Full Version : The correct water change

born2blove
07-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Hello all

I went to Petsco today, I told them I change my fish tank water twice 1 month, the Petsco staff told me that is too much that reason why my fish die.

I changed and grave vacum my 30galon water fish tank twice a month with 5 galon water changed. the new water I add on take from RO drinking water system I add only Stress Coat to my new water not thing else.

My question is
Do I need to do water changed every month or twice a month?
Pestco staff told me if i do too much grave vacum it will kill the fish?

How long do I need to d my fish tank grave vacum.

I need to to water changed in the righ way.

thank you

promise
07-31-2010, 06:19 PM
you should be doing a 25% water change at lest once a week!!!!!

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

will you please red this book and stop asking what is killing the fish, its the tank that hasn't cycled that you keep putting fish into!!

octoxpuss
07-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, You should actually do a W/c 1 per week of atleast 15%. Gravel doesnt need to be vaccumed all the time. Just a light skim over the top. This holds alot of BB in it. (beneficial bacteria). You fish dont die from w/c unless It is to much at once and not enough acclimation usually like 75% to 100 is what i expect that to happen or no dechlorinator. U use Run off so no need for that. My guess is you have bad stock.

smaug
07-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Water change once a week of at least 20%
gravel vac once a month and no it cant be done to excess.Neither can water changes,some members here do 50% everyday [the fanatics],it wont harm anything and a water change is nothing but beneficial unless it is being done while fishless cycling.Ignore ALL info from petco,petsmart,petvalue pet whatfrikkinever.Get your info from us and then actually USE it.
BTw.RO water is not good for fish water as it has none of the trace elements that are needed.Get the fish water before it goes through the ro.
OCTO: RO means reverse osmosis,not run off.

Rue
07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Again, it depends. I do a water change of 30-40% every 2 weeks, and have been for almost 30 years...but I'm understocked. Water chemistry is fine.

If you're going to err though, err on the side of MORE water changes...

cocoa_pleco
07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
lol thats a bunch of BS, a properly cycled tank can have 50% water changes daily with no problems (and some people do that much)

or there was me the complete opposite who didnt believe in water changes on FW tanks lol

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I change out 50-60% every week - 10 days and always have. Filters remove larger particles but they do not remove pee. And fish pee 24/7.

cichlids209
07-31-2010, 11:18 PM
i think minimum should be 25% a week and 50% is better

born2blove
07-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Thank You all
I will do my water change 25% every week and Grave vacum 1 per month.

robflanker
08-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I do 50%-ish once a week.

IIRC, didnt someone here make a case for bi-weekly water changes helping fish growth and development? Seem to remember seeing something about that

kaybee
08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
...I went to Petsco today, I told them I change my fish tank water twice 1 month, the Petsco staff told me that is too much...

I wonder how often they do their water changes.

jcarr71
08-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I've had success for a few years now doing 40% changes weekly.

SunSchein89
08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I wonder how often they do their water changes.

Petco is supposed to do a water change on at least one section/sump every day. Our store personally does it every MWF just because our main "fish people" work those days. I probably know more or just as much as the one :rolleyes:, but whatever, I guess I'm the reptile guy. Basically, all the tanks should have a partial water change at least once a week. I'm not sure why they would say only change once a month. I've heard one of my managers say this too, unfortunately, so who knows maybe it's in some training video or something.