PDA

View Full Version : Cool-water plant suggestions

jclee
07-31-2010, 04:01 PM
My axolotls (aquatic salamanders) live in cool water tanks that range from 66-72 throughout the year. I already have Anacharis, java fern, Anubias nana, and some mosses growing in these tanks. (Not terribly interested in hornwort).

What other cool-water suggestions do you have for a low-lighted tank indoors? (I really wish that plant-indexes let you search by temperature, as well as, or instead of by lighting, difficulty, etc.)

Rue
07-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Elodea (pondweed)...that's the main one...

jclee
08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Elodea and Anacharis are the same plant; there have been some taxonomy debates, and from what I can recall, the plant used to be commonly referred to as Anacharis, but its Latin name was Elodea, and now, they're re-classifying it again as Egeria.

Sorry for the mix up. I have a hard time keeping track of all the changes, but I'll try to stick with calling it Elodea from now on, because that's the name most people seem to be familiar with.:ssmile:

DrNic
08-01-2010, 01:59 PM
How cool are we talking? Is this a semi-dry setup?

Lily pads, some crypts and vals can be kept in cooler water. Check pond websites. They will have plants that don't require heat but cna survive submerged. There are a lot out there.

Rue
08-01-2010, 03:33 PM
...actually, I know that...but I didn't notice it when I read your post.(blush)

I don't anyone who calls it anything but Elodea...regardless of what the taxonomists are doing...:hmm3grin2orange:

jclee
08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't worry about the taxonomy, Rue. I have a hard time keeping it all straight, myself.

How cool are we talking? Is this a semi-dry setup?

Lily pads, some crypts and vals can be kept in cooler water. Check pond websites. They will have plants that don't require heat but cna survive submerged. There are a lot out there.

The tank is fully aquatic -- the salamanders never come out of the water. They can handle temps between 40-73 farenheight, but in my apartment, with unlidded tanks and fans aimed at the water, the coolest I can get it is 65 (in winter) and the warmest it gets in summer is 72.

I will look into some pond websites, but as someone without a pond who doesn't know much, I have a hard time telling what plants grow immersed/emmersed, or what plants can grow immersed, even though the picture on the site shows the emmersed form, etc.

Also, I would need plants that are not terribly delicate, since these salamanders prefer lower lighting, and due to impaction risks, I have a bare-bottom tank. So far, I've been using floating plants and plants that will root themselves to driftwood, etc. (I've even been able to fix some of the Elodea/Anacharis to the driftwood by tucking it s base in between the roots of java ferns). I can improvise some planters that are full of substrate (as long as they're too heavy to be knocked over), if substrate is really a must for the plants that you can think of.