PDA

View Full Version : 55 Planted community???

promise
07-30-2010, 05:45 PM
looking for some fast-ish growing plants that will be safe with a common pleco and a rhino pleco, also a small spawning plant for danios, neons and maybe wood shrimp.
playing with a few ideas, for the new tank need some ideas, i hope miss hobbs will be able to help on this the master aquatic gardener.thumbs2:

rich311k
07-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Try easy to grow stems, anacharis, hornwort, maybe ludwigia. Ferns would work as well.

promise
07-31-2010, 02:13 AM
hmm never thought of ludwigia, thanks rich.
i read the post by lady hobbs earlier on i should of thought of that.
the hornwort i was thinking of but leaving in the little pots as in my experience they have a problem rooting and with the pleco's i think it will have an even harder time.
and the anacharis im going to have a very good read up on.
thanks again buddy.

MCHRKiller
07-31-2010, 03:56 AM
I would really suggest moving out that common and rhino if your serious about a planted tank...both of those fish will easily grow well over 1ft and are not suited for a 55G. Not to mention when large will uproot most anything in their way.

Also before suggesting further plants what is your lighting and substrate?

promise
07-31-2010, 04:38 AM
Eco complete about an inch and another inch of pea gravel on top of that
the lighting is 2 1500 watt t8 canopy strip light

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2010, 08:17 AM
I ditto those catfish, promise. I don't see how you can have a planted tank with pleco's. I don't think stem plants would stay in the substrate over night. I really can't think of anything that would work but lots of wood with java fern attached and floating plants.

MCHRKiller
07-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Do you mean 15watt T8 strips?

Thats pretty standard 55G lighting and it is considered very low for the purposes of planted aquariums. Moss, fern, and anubias would be all that would really live in that kind of lighting. I probably wouldnt even try crypts in that low with just T8 power...they would probably get leggy as well.

Plant Man
07-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Do you mean 15watt T8 strips?

Thats pretty standard 55G lighting and it is considered very low for the purposes of planted aquariums. Moss, fern, and anubias would be all that would really live in that kind of lighting. I probably wouldnt even try crypts in that low with just T8 power...they would probably get leggy as well.

Ageed! I think he really needs to get himself closer to 1.2 -1.5 watts of t-8 or 1-1.2 watts of T-5

promise
08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
the bulbs i have in the canopy are 1 18" sun glo 15 w
and 1 marineland 18" marineland natural daylight F15 t8

i bought 2 hornwort and 2 java fern plants yesterday for the 55 gal, im going to tell my wife the pleco's didnt make the move across to the new tank and that they passed away, (they are going to big als) she really likes them but they are getting too big and boisterous for a planted community

anyways is this enough light for a planted 55 or should i get other bulbs and if so which ones?? researching online but would like you guys oppinions on what you have used or are using.

MCHRKiller
08-01-2010, 05:03 PM
IMO...its not enough lighting to have a real planted tank. Switching your bulbs wont do anything as your fixtures are only designed for 15watt bulbs. I would personally invest in a 108watt HOT5 or a 130watt PC fixture for the tank. You can find either of these fixtures for somewhere around $100 online. Of course if you wanted to stick to low light plants...a double bulb shoplight would do as well.

promise
08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
the thing is this will be the centrepiece in the living room so i was thinking i want it heavily planted, im going for ambitious with this one :hmm3grin2orange:
check out my Blog in the Aquarium Journals i think you did already but its
"My newest project"
i think im going to go for a new light canopy and fixtures to be honest as i wouldn't mind wiring in some night light LED's too.
Thanks for the responses guys, am going to the heritage festival today so will figure it all out this evening when i get home.
anymore suggestions about what lights though would be a great help.
Thanks MCHR will check these lights out later.

MCHRKiller
08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Just make sure whatever bulbs you buy are in the 5000-8000K spectrum as that is the best for plant growth.

promise
08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Just edited sorry MC
i will definately keep the spectrum between 5000 and 8000k i was reading that previously
Thanks again.