PDA

View Full Version : Gender bending fish

Northernguy
07-30-2010, 02:31 PM
There is some scary stuff in the rivers of Western Canada.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100729/national/skewed_sex_fish

There is a statement that should be noticed and thought about when dumping treated tank water and dead fish in the toilet,"most wastewater treatment plants don't get rid of many of the chemicals."

"In some locations, female fish accounted for as much as 90 per cent of the minnow population, far higher than the normal 55 to 60 per cent."

Rue
07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah...the whole waste water issue is a complicated deal...

I've been to some seminars regarding the effects of chemicals on fish...scary stuff...:scry:

Northernguy
07-30-2010, 02:47 PM
It also states in there that the water may not be safe for human consumption because there may be cancer causing issues with it.

He said it's too early to tell whether the current levels in water might have anything to do with a rising trend of cancers that are under hormonal control, but he added that a possible link should be studied.

"I think we need to look at this a little more carefully and ask, what is the message the fish are telling us," he said

I guess its a good reason to drink alcohol, it is safer then the water!

Rue
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Alcohol is safe drink, that's one reason we've been drinking it since man first discovered fermentation...:hmm3grin2orange: . However, a glass of weak wine with a meal doesn't seem to cut it these days...