PDA

View Full Version : Everything was going so well...

FishGirl-Seattle
07-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Boy, I've been doing this for years, I had stable tanks, then one domino falls..............

Bought new fish (Rosey Barbs and Blue Flames), put them in a 55g, had to move two schools of smaller fish out. This was my first time with Rosy Barbs and wasn't really prepared for how active they are - really wrecked havoc on the slow docile Neons. The Neon school and minnows went to the new 38g, which was running on the cannister filter that came from the now retired 20g, so I put a larger can on the new tank - now it has two cans, only one cycled. S'ok, small fish, 38g, I can do this. Couple extra WC for a few weeks. Betta goes evil on me, have to isolate him (two murdered fish later). Not panicked yet because I have a little filter running in the 55 to use in a hospital tank should the need arise, also in that tank is a fairly new Fluval 2 plus filter I was using as a polisher. Of course that filter isn't cycled - the media is replaced every week. Don't have a hospital tank to put the hospital filter in though, because I'm using the the 5g hospital tank to hold a 3 schools of microfish. Fine, I'll set up a 2.5 for the Betta, put the tiny filter in there, it's small but cycled and it will do in a pinch until I get my empty 10g up and cycled. Lone guppy (who should be dead of old age by now) in the 38g starts in on the other fish, including my prized school of CPDs, I have no where to put him. One tank is too aggressive, the others have microfish smaller than he is, and I don't want to lose any more fish. Move the 3 schools of micros out of the 5g tank, into the 38g, move the betta to the 5g, move the Guppy into the 2.5 - just for a few days is the plan. Get him out of the bigger tank then reintroduce - that should take care of the king of the tank syndrome. Now the filter in the 5g fails. So I have daily WC in the 5g and every other day in the 38 and weeklies in the other tanks. I had ordered 12 microfish some time ago from my LFS - to expand a small school in my 6g, with the intent of moving the school to the 38g. That was before all this other stuff, and it took all this time for the LFS to locate and get the fish I wanted. They are stocking up for their annual sale and truly don't have the capacity to house my fish - so I bring home 12 fish. TINY, but still there are 12 of them! so I now have 12 extra fish, an uncycled 10g, an uncycled 5 thanks to the filter breaking, and a mini cycle going in the 38g. I dump the Guppy back in the big tank, move the Betta back to the 2.5, and put the new fish in the uncycled 10g. Now I have twice daily WC in the 10, still doing every other day in the 38, and a 5 gallon sitting with no fish, no filter and no heater - moved heater and uncycled filter to the 10g because you just cant QT 12 fish in a 5g. If I hadn't had extra filters and heaters this would be even worse. The 38 now has the following additions: school of 7 Neons, school of minnows - maybe a half dozen or so (fortunately that was far enough back that the filter should have caught up), and this week 3 schools of micro fish -5 Embers,6 Dwarf Emerald Rasboras and 8 pygmy corrys. These are in addition to it's original occupants of 8 CPDs, 5 minnows, one Betta, 2 Ottos, 7 Pygmies, 7 Amano shrimp and the old guppy. It's crowded and is in a mini cycle. The 5 is empty, the 10 has three schools and an uncycled filter, the 2.5 has the Betta. I'm doing so many WC on so many different schedules in so many tanks I can't keep it straight. Oh, and the icing on the cake - I found BGA in the 55 tonight. I had started two feedings a day in that tank when I added the Barbs and Blue Flames, cut the portion in half, or so I thought, but obviously it's been more than half because after several weeks there's been enough extra to cause trouble. ARGGHHH What else can go south??? I think I will put a heater and filter in the 5g - can't wait to spend the money, put one of the new schools in QT in there when they get their clean bill of health, move the rest of the QT fish into the 38g, and orphan 5 of the now large minnow school out of that tank (I know someone who will take them), the 38g should have capacity once the 5 minnows are out. Then the 10g will be empty, cycled and ready for the addition of a school of Rasbora Maculatas that I want to order. And I can move my Sumo Loach out of my 6 into the 10 before he tears up his tank even more than he already has. I can't remember the last time I had this many tanks in flux. On the plus side - WC in these small tanks is decent exercise, and I'm getting really fast with my test kits! This is all the Betta's fault.

~Col~
07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Wow! I take my hat off to you! You had me dizzy reading that!

Hope the Betta appreciates it! LOL!!

Lady Hobbs
07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: Wow. That was the longest one paragraph I've ever seen. Whatever you did, good luck with it.

SkipW
07-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Who's on first?

chrisfraser05
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
yikes!!!

Sorry but I read a line and my eyes went funny!

:help:

promise
07-30-2010, 02:37 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: Wow. That was the longest one paragraph I've ever seen. Whatever you did, good luck with it.

:hmm3grin2orange: thats a brilliant one liner im going to steal that from you Lady

CGY_Betta_Guy
07-30-2010, 04:28 PM
wow. I was gonna say maybe a condensed version would be more readable but maybe that is the condensed version??

Northernguy
07-30-2010, 04:45 PM
This is why being to the point when asking questions is best.
Long posts especially in large paragraph form almost never get read.They are very confusing. The fish names may help you but they do us no good.
If you have several questions keep them separate with the other details necessary.
It makes it so much easier for everyone that wants to help.

Now what did the betta do?

Taurus
07-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Now what did the betta do?

:hmm3grin2orange:

souly
07-30-2010, 05:05 PM
TL:DR comes come to mind....

I have to agree with paragraph breaks, I read like a few of it before I realized I was rereading lines.

chrisfraser05
07-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Edited version!!!!

Boy, I've been doing this for years, I had stable tanks, then one domino falls..............

Bought new fish (Rosey Barbs and Blue Flames), put them in a 55g, had to move two schools of smaller fish out.

This was my first time with Rosy Barbs and wasn't really prepared for how active they are - really wrecked havoc on the slow docile Neons.

The Neon school and minnows went to the new 38g, which was running on the cannister filter that came from the now retired 20g, so I put a larger can on the new tank - now it has two cans, only one cycled.

S'ok, small fish, 38g, I can do this.
Couple extra WC for a few weeks.
Betta goes evil on me, have to isolate him (two murdered fish later).
Not panicked yet because I have a little filter running in the 55 to use in a hospital tank should the need arise, also in that tank is a fairly new Fluval 2 plus filter I was using as a polisher.
Of course that filter isn't cycled - the media is replaced every week.
Don't have a hospital tank to put the hospital filter in though, because I'm using the the 5g hospital tank to hold a 3 schools of microfish.

Fine, I'll set up a 2.5 for the Betta, put the tiny filter in there, it's small but cycled and it will do in a pinch until I get my empty 10g up and cycled.
Lone guppy (who should be dead of old age by now) in the 38g starts in on the other fish, including my prized school of CPDs, I have no where to put him.

One tank is too aggressive, the others have microfish smaller than he is, and I don't want to lose any more fish.

Move the 3 schools of micros out of the 5g tank, into the 38g, move the betta to the 5g, move the Guppy into the 2.5 - just for a few days is the plan.
Get him out of the bigger tank then reintroduce - that should take care of the king of the tank syndrome.

Now the filter in the 5g fails. So I have daily WC in the 5g and every other day in the 38 and weeklies in the other tanks.
I had ordered 12 microfish some time ago from my LFS - to expand a small school in my 6g, with the intent of moving the school to the 38g.

That was before all this other stuff, and it took all this time for the LFS to locate and get the fish I wanted. They are stocking up for their annual sale and truly don't have the capacity to house my fish - so I bring home 12 fish. TINY, but still there are 12 of them!
so I now have 12 extra fish, an uncycled 10g, an uncycled 5 thanks to the filter breaking, and a mini cycle going in the 38g.
I dump the Guppy back in the big tank, move the Betta back to the 2.5, and put the new fish in the uncycled 10g.

Now I have twice daily WC in the 10, still doing every other day in the 38, and a 5 gallon sitting with no fish, no filter and no heater - moved heater and uncycled filter to the 10g because you just cant QT 12 fish in a 5g.

If I hadn't had extra filters and heaters this would be even worse.
The 38 now has the following additions: school of 7 Neons, school of minnows - maybe a half dozen or so (fortunately that was far enough back that the filter should have caught up), and this week 3 schools of micro fish -5 Embers,6 Dwarf Emerald Rasboras and 8 pygmy corrys.
These are in addition to it's original occupants of 8 CPDs, 5 minnows, one Betta, 2 Ottos, 7 Pygmies, 7 Amano shrimp and the old guppy. It's crowded and is in a mini cycle. The 5 is empty, the 10 has three schools and an uncycled filter, the 2.5 has the Betta.

I'm doing so many WC on so many different schedules in so many tanks I can't keep it straight. Oh, and the icing on the cake - I found BGA in the 55 tonight.

I had started two feedings a day in that tank when I added the Barbs and Blue Flames, cut the portion in half, or so I thought, but obviously it's been more than half because after several weeks there's been enough extra to cause trouble. ARGGHHH What else can go south???

I think I will put a heater and filter in the 5g - can't wait to spend the money, put one of the new schools in QT in there when they get their clean bill of health, move the rest of the QT fish into the 38g, and orphan 5 of the now large minnow school out of that tank (I know someone who will take them), the 38g should have capacity once the 5 minnows are out.

Then the 10g will be empty, cycled and ready for the addition of a school of Rasbora Maculatas that I want to order.
And I can move my Sumo Loach out of my 6 into the 10 before he tears up his tank even more than he already has.

I can't remember the last time I had this many tanks in flux.
On the plus side - WC in these small tanks is decent exercise, and I'm getting really fast with my test kits!

This is all the Betta's fault.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: I love the edit!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

This rant was posted sometime between 1:30 and 2 AM, after the last tank swap - Mostly, I think, to get everything in writing - no way was I going to remember who was swapped where and who needed a filter after going to bed! Lol - this morning I didn't remember where I put the guppy, couldn't find my siphon and for some reason my Betta pellets were in the fridge..(the pump was on the tv -see, I still can't get it straight... had to edit this twice! )

Can I get a pass on this one for being delirious? - Oh, and it's the Betta's fault because he needed to be isolated when he started killing the other fish in his tank!

Northernguy
07-30-2010, 09:37 PM
chrisfraser05 awesome edit!
That must have taken a while!lol Where are you again?lol
Thats a lot of free time!thumbs2:

FishGirl-Seattle That is why we must be careful with what fish goes in with a betta.Some bettas don't mind sharing with relatively slow fish like guppies,some obviously do.Glad to see you had another tank handy for it.
Sorry about your fish!
Just remember that keeping fish is a fun and relaxing hobby!:hmm3grin2orange:

Gisela
07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow, I read the whole post and really feel for you. I think Murphy moved in with you! I also feel like I had 5 cups of coffee!

Yourkisa
07-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Im beginning to think that this should be moved to the games section of the forums. S.Girl has obviously just explained the fundimental rules of 'Musical Tanks'.
Its just like musical chairs, except as of yet, she hasnt put the step in where after a round of every fish moving around the room, you take a tank away !

If its not musical tanks, then I think that it must deffinatly be 'Clue' . . and my prediction is that it was Colonel Betta, in the 29gal with the Fish Food.

Whadda I win ?

Excellence
07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
:bomb:

My head... emergency jump to hyperspace...

Sorry to hear about this. I replaced my active carbon after a year with fresh ones. As expected, ammonia soared, but I know it will come down in a few days. But your situation makes mine look like a butterfly.

Just bought rosy barbs too. They are active, yes!

How was your guppy hostile? Had 5 males at one point and they were peaceful.

Taurus
07-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Just remember that keeping fish is a fun and relaxing hobby!:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL...I was exhausted after reading the original version..so I came back today and read the edited version.....it's early in the day and I'm already exhausted! :ssuprised:

I'm pretty thankful I only have two tanks after reading all of that.

Hope things smooth out for FGS. :ssmile:

FishGirl-Seattle
08-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Peace and harmony has returned to the house! My knee is shot - but hours of bucket hauling will do that! Fish are looking good, the 38g with all the small fish has read 0 ammonia and nitrite in both tests today, so it's only the QT tank with daily WC - big deep sigh.................... Never again! Never!

JENUINE
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Phew! Glad you were at least able to get some sleep after that lengthly episode you wrote. Sometimes a good nighits sleep and all goes well the next day. Sounds like you were frazzled, perhaps too many tanks to contend with. Good luck and keep on fishing.:1luvu:

FishGirl-Seattle
08-02-2010, 01:09 AM
There are folks out there who have been through worse (they just have the class not to whine about it !) Lol, Should have filmed it - then every time I start feeling like a pro I could watch it to keep my ego right sized!

FishyPastor
08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
My head hurts! :22:

Tigerfishy
08-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Wow, I'm glad you seem to have it back under control again!