PDA

View Full Version : Double Swap in 55 Gallon ( Help )

BiGBlak
07-30-2010, 07:39 AM
In the near future i will be making a major change to my Mbuna tank, so wanted to come on here and get some tips and advice so i wont end up messing up this tank that has been so good to me. Im attempting a double swap ( Gravel 2 Sand, Current Stock 2 New Stock ) Is this possible doing it all about the same time ? or would i have to do one wait then another ? What would be the best way to do this without any problems ?

My thoughts on how to do this was this... Drain tank get a tubbawear thingy and put all the fish in there and take the gravel out and put the sand in fill up the tank then let it warm up and then put the fish back in, order the new stock ( they will get here the next day or two days later ) let them acclimate when they arrive take out my current stock put them back in the tubbawear thing and then drive them to where im giving them too and them put the new fish into my tank ...?

Helpful thought would be appreciated i dont want my tank to be in a never ending mini cycle after i do this and really dont want to lose any of my new stock .:help:

rich311k
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
It should be fine. Might be easier if you could coordinate so you only have to remove the fish once, but either way should do fine. As long as the filters stay wet and dont go without ammonia for more than 24 hours, all should be well.

Brhino
07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
What's your new stock going to be? Why are you getting rid of your current fish?

abraham3660
07-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah that would probably work. Just dont take out to many hard surface things like rocks, driftwood, or other ornaments. AND MAKE SURE YOU RINSE THE NEW SUBSTRATE! I just changed my gravel to a fine sand and i forgot to rinse, and i couldnt see the back of my tank for 2 days, but its clear as day now. lol. Good Luck.

SkipW
07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Unless your new stock has a much larger bio load, you should be fine. But like mentioned before, moving the current fish once would be less stressful on them, if possible.

BiGBlak
07-30-2010, 04:01 PM
What's your new stock going to be? Why are you getting rid of your current fish?
Im not too sure what exactly i want my new stock to be since Dave Has soo many fish but im building it around this guy http://shop.cichlid-store.co.uk/WebRoot/EasySpace/Shops/100050100/49CC/5F7D/2347/235B/883B/0A0A/33D4/5FDE/acei3.jpg So something in the grounds of this .
5 White Tail Acei (Ngara)
5 Yellow Labs
5 Some kind of afra , havent decided on wich one yet
Maybe Some Kinda of Bottom dweller, Maybe Not.
0r
No Bottom Dweller and do 4 species 4 each

My current stock well looks like this with a bad male to female ratio,
5 Cobalt Blue ( 2:3 Male to Female )
3 Yellow Labs ( All males )
3 Acei( yellow tail) ( 2:1 Male to female )
1 Red Zebra ( Male )
1 Rusty ( Male )
1 Enlongatus ( Male )
1 Ice Blue ( Albino ) ( Male )
1 Ice Blue ( Regular) ( male )
1 Synodontis Catfish

I just seen a bunch of these guys for cheap and thats why its so messed up , going off what more experienced people say im going to have lots of problems around the holiday time since thats when they will be fully adults so i just want to do it right .

Lady Hobbs
07-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Why do you need to let the water warm up? Just fill the tank with the temp water you want the fish to be in.

Rinse the sand well. And then lay a plastic bag over the bottom, fill tank slowly and that plastic bag will help hold the dust down some. It will take less time to clear up that way. Wait about 15 minutes for the sand to settle before turning your filters on and you will be fine.

BiGBlak
07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Why do you need to let the water warm up? Just fill the tank with the temp water you want the fish to be in.

Rinse the sand well. And then lay a plastic bag over the bottom, fill tank slowly and that plastic bag will help hold the dust down some. It will take less time to clear up that way. Wait about 15 minutes for the sand to settle before turning your filters on and you will be fine.
the water out of my hose is very cold and thats how i plan on refilling the tank. I dont have the adapter to fit on my sink. I will go shop for one hopefully i find one but as of now i dont have that so i cant control the temp of the water. By bag do you mean put like a trash bag over the sand and then fill it up and then remove it ? never thought of that one thnx. Im going to disturb the gravel as much as i can so my filters can suck that stuff up, should i put some in a nylon thing also and hang it on the side of the tank for awhile ?

Excellence
08-01-2010, 02:18 AM
I don't envy you, Big. Should I choose to upsize my tank to accommodate my growing angels, I will be faced with the challenge of emptying a tank and relocating all the fish to large buckets, then putting the new tank and stand in the current spot and returning everything. I'm thinking long and hard before undertaking that endevour, because I did that last year when upgrading the 40L to 90L. For several weeks I had two tanks in the living room and it wasn't fun.

And since I have to wait until the new tanks cycles, I'd really need two sets of power outlets to run two tanks simultaneously for nearly a month. Not fun.