PDA

View Full Version : BIG plants that grow out of a tank?

DrNic
07-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Are there any big plants that I might be able to plant in my freshwater 75G tank that would grow up and out of the water?

The tank is in a rather sunny room and my wife and I thought it might look interesting to have a large plant growing up and out of the tank up the wall. The only thing I could find was mangrove but that doesn't do will in freshwater apparently. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lobsternoob
07-30-2010, 04:27 AM
water hyacinth is one man, I just got a bunch of it given to me today and couldn't keep it because it was already too big for an open top tank with 8" of clearance from the lights, including roots it was almost 2' tall, thats only good for a pond I guess. It can get big and does well floating from what I know (more of a pond plant than an aquarium plant IMO). If you want a plant that grows from the substrate and out of the water, I've seen swords do that when well kept my swords throw out baby plants weekly almost, and you could always try a lotus although they arent always easy to find, or cheap. Also some lilies root and send shoots up out of the water along with having leaves on the surface, but they can block a lot of light from other plants.

Mangrove can be difficult, even in brackish it often slowly dies or is just stagnant in growth.

Edit: Onion plants, although I've never seen them bloom can fill up a lot of space and will grow from their bulb up to the top of the water and keep growing longer, but not out of the water. You're looking for lilies or other plants in that area, maybe try googling vivarium paludarium, etc plants to get some ideas.

Oh, and I believe that bouganvillea can grow with submerged roots, and it is very easy to train it to grow where you want. It's also a highly desired decorational plant with nice flowers, and easy to find at most garden stores, you may even have one already and you could try snipping some off to start a clone plant.

BIO-Linist
07-30-2010, 05:20 AM
I have this in a 5 gallon
peace lily
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/516/p001.jpg
Problem is, it sheds a lot of pollen.
Also, its leaves have to be out of the water to grow well.

lobsternoob
07-30-2010, 05:39 AM
it is very pretty though Bio, thats a great looking plant, and exactly why I think lilies are great for growing up and out of tank, does this lily do that in your tank?

Scrup
07-30-2010, 05:54 AM
certain aponogeton will grow up and out of the tank, at least the blooms will. Very large plant, but needs a dormancy period.

BIO-Linist
07-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Wait, screw it. I just googled peace lily and found out it's toxic. Sorry.

But the snails in the tank don't seem to mind. :sconfused:

BIO-Linist
07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
OK upon further research I found out the toxicity is from calcium oxalate crystals. They are very sharp pointy microscopic needles. This is toxic when ingested, but is only released when the plant is chewed on or otherwise bruised. The snails crawl on the plant but don't eat it.
Can cause kidney and liver damage.
So bad idea.

lobsternoob
07-30-2010, 08:23 AM
sounds like a defense mechanism for the plant. doing some reading very interesting,

BIO-Linist
07-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Yeah, turns out taro has the same defense mechanism, but its disabled by cooking. Raw taro can make you very sick, but once cooked its good to eat.

Crispy
07-30-2010, 10:40 AM
arrowheads are cool plants which are fairly easy to grow

Lady Hobbs
07-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Arrowheads and peace lilies are neither one for aquariums. Both are house plants.

DrNic
07-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I was thinking about trying arrowheads or grasses but I didn't think that they would survive in water as deep as the tank has (about 2.5 feet I think).

Lady Hobbs
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
They won't. They will live a short time then have root rot. The Peace Lily in a bowl with a Betta was a sales gimic and not meant to be a long term solution for either the plant or the Betta.

This link is a different variety of arrowhead used for pond plants.
http://www.pondkoi.com/pond_plants_arrowhead.htm Often the stores sell the houseplant variety inplace of these which would never work.

DrNic
07-30-2010, 06:04 PM
I knew that there were terrestrial and aquatic varieties of arrowhead but I thought that they only grew in a few inches (maybe a foot) of water? I'm definitely looking at using some pond plants for this but I'm not sure if they will work since they are usually planted at the edges of a pond.

jclee
07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
I was thinking about trying arrowheads or grasses but I didn't think that they would survive in water as deep as the tank has (about 2.5 feet I think).

I've had luck with both arrowhead and pothos IF they're potted (outside of tank) and then trailed into the tank.

I've also used suction cups meant for airline tubing to hold these species' stems in place right along the water's edge. These plants can grow hydroponically, but you're right that they cannot survive (for long) when fully submersed. Some portion of the plant must be emmersed.

To the OP: Were you looking for tall plants that grow out of the tank, or any plants? And what is your substrate?