PDA

View Full Version : Repetitive moulting?

HomaridNoob6
07-29-2010, 02:18 AM
I have a bamboo shrimp in one tank doing something i have never seen before. It just moulted a few days ago, and is now in hiding again (where I can sort of see it). It looks kind of milky and has a thick looking skin on it, basically it looks as if it's moulting again. Has anyone ever seen them do this so quickly? Usually it is at least over a month between moults when they are as large as this one is, for juveniles it seems less, but this is really soon. Any ideas, or advice? Is it possible it is nearing the end of it's life? I have had this shrimp over a year, and it was about adult size when i got it, so I don't know how old it really is. Despite moulting a lot it hasn't grown much in that time. I've kept quite a few of these shrimp, but this is a totally new occurence for me.

troy
07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
That sounds like it's dieing.

HomaridNoob6
07-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what i was thinking, but didn't want to be the case, I guess time will tell.

Spardas
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I also think it may be on its way out.

That's why I prefer to get shrimps from breeders who can actually tell me the age. You really don't know how old the wild caught ones are.

HomaridNoob6
07-30-2010, 01:15 AM
yeah, that's a good point too. I now know a supplier, but not an actual breeder, so I'm one step closer to the source, but I've had this shrimp for a good while. So it's acceptable I guess if its getting to the end of its life, at least it didn't die earlier and was well cared for while I've had it.