PDA

View Full Version : tricky requirement: canopy/cover for an Aqueon 54 corner bowfront?

Dave-H
07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello all -

I've upgraded the lights on my Aqueon 54 gallon corner unit. Now I'm looking for a way to keep the lights (which are suspended up on 4 legs several inches from the tank) from leaking out light all over the corner of my living room.

I understand that these lights are hot and are going to need lots of ventilation, so I'm not looking for a full canopy, just some kind of cover. Like a visor! The 54 gallon bowfront is unusual enough so no products seem to be available for it.

Has anyone come up with an easy custom solution for this one? any advice appreciated!!

Northernguy
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
A canopy with a good cooling fan mounted in it.
One with access doors front and back and maybe a metal grill over the top instead of a solid board to let more heat out.thumbs2:

lol Let me know if you find one!

Dave-H
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Sounds great. Does it exist for my corner bowfront?
It would be great to buy something off the shelf, but I haven't found anything!

Northernguy
07-28-2010, 08:21 PM
That design is one I thought of while reading your post.I have never seen one but it would not be that difficult to build.
Have you shopped around at all in your area?

promise
07-28-2010, 09:08 PM
something like this kind of idea??

Dave-H
07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey that's not bad :)
I've never worked with MDF before - isn't it completely rigid?

I'm thinking that because this cover needs to ventilate rather than seal, and is exclusively designed/intended to block outgoing light it can be very simple.

promise
07-28-2010, 09:14 PM
you should be able to find something thats bendable like OSB or ply or something to give you enough of a curve that you can brace it together with a couple of 1x1 or 2x2 lumber, this was just a quick sketch that i was playing with while reading the post
i had to change the pic cos i didnt read it was a corner unit.