PDA

View Full Version : Best plant setup

Scrup
07-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I am running a little experiment right now and was wondering if anyone else had some input on this.

The current experiment is I placed a few kinds of aquatic plants (anacharis, bacopa, java fern, java moss, duckweed, giant duckweed, and a peice of a marimo ball) in a tupperware container on my driveway, and dosed it with miracle grow. A day later everything is looking the same, aside from the giant duckweed, which has since doubled.

Anywho...

I am considering setting up one of my spare tanks as a plant only setup. sort of a plant factory. If one were to have such a setup, would it be advised to just grow it like any other planted tank, with the balance of lighting, DIY co2, and ferts, would going heavy on all three have the desired effect, or would it just do more harm than good?

I have a spot in my house that received direct sunlight almost all day, would this lead to a problem with algae?

In a setup such as this, would water flow be needed to avoid stagnant water, or is stagnant water not a concern with just plants?

Also, since this will be a generic setup, in an attempt to be able to cater to any aquatic plants, is PH going to be a concern?

Michael Milligan
07-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Make it a shrimp/plant tank then you don't need to worry about algae. I'd certainly use CO2 too.

Many plants, while they can and do live under water in our aquariums, will do much better if their leaves are out of the water. Perhaps put some structure in the tank so you can plant some plants right near the surface... just for experimentation purposes. They can bloom easier too.

Cliff
07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm still really new to plants and not to sure how much value I can bring here, but every that I've researched leads me to believe that without water circulation you increase your chances for algae to grow and flourish. Since you placed this thread, are you now considering a filter for some water movement ? Just wondering that's all.

I also find your experiament extremly interesting. I'm really looking forword to reading about this.

Plant Man
07-29-2010, 01:46 AM
I am running a little experiment right now and was wondering if anyone else had some input on this.

The current experiment is I placed a few kinds of aquatic plants (anacharis, bacopa, java fern, java moss, duckweed, giant duckweed, and a peice of a marimo ball) in a tupperware container on my driveway, and dosed it with miracle grow. A day later everything is looking the same, aside from the giant duckweed, which has since doubled.

Anywho...

I am considering setting up one of my spare tanks as a plant only setup. sort of a plant factory. If one were to have such a setup, would it be advised to just grow it like any other planted tank, with the balance of lighting, DIY co2, and ferts, would going heavy on all three have the desired effect, or would it just do more harm than good?

I have a spot in my house that received direct sunlight almost all day, would this lead to a problem with algae?

In a setup such as this, would water flow be needed to avoid stagnant water, or is stagnant water not a concern with just plants?

Also, since this will be a generic setup, in an attempt to be able to cater to any aquatic plants, is PH going to be a concern?

Read this,

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=66863