PDA

View Full Version : is this true???

fishntrips
06-10-2007, 02:32 AM
I have been told by serveral sourses that oscar dont stop growing to their tank size. you guys seem to know your stuff, so is this true. my oscar(Lucy) is about 2yrs old in 70ltr tank.

genitor
06-10-2007, 02:39 AM
how big is lucy?

cocoa_pleco
06-10-2007, 02:41 AM
70L is about 18g. what size is the oscar

crackatinny
06-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Before we rehoused our oscar to a 120G he was in a 2 foot x 12inch x 14inch tank, which comes in at 66Litres, he got to 8 inches in there with no sign of stopping and he was with a red devil of same size and 5 convicts. Both the Oscar and red devil are now happily in the 120G, and still only growing at about the same rate, so there could be some truth in it.

puddlekeeper
06-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Rule Of Thumb: they keep growing!

If you live in a smaller home - do you stop growing? :14:

fishntrips
06-10-2007, 05:58 AM
lucy is approx 8 1/2 inches(23cms) long. 2 yrs old, tank 70ltrs with contains just gravel. no tank mates.

Chrona
06-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Actually many fish give off a growth inhibiting hormone as a means for survival (so they don't overpopulate the body of water they are in). They don't stop growing, but the growth basically slows to a standstill at some point. This is particularly true for baby fish, which is why professional breeders swear by frequent large water changes. A clear indication of this is the size that some species reach in captivity when compared to the wild. Whether Oscar give off the same hormones or are affected as much I don't know.

Lady Hobbs
06-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Exactly. And it's one of the reasons why it's stated that clown loaches grow to about 6 inches in captivity but a foot in the wild. I think bala sharks are the same altho they still get large.......just not AS large.

crackatinny
06-10-2007, 06:43 AM
lucy is approx 8 1/2 inches(23cms) long. 2 yrs old, tank 70ltrs with contains just gravel. no tank mates.

Having been in the same boat, same size tank, i would recomend a bigger tank if possible, as another comparison, our oscar is now about 9 inches and only about 8 months old, so considering yrs is 2yrs old, its growth might be stunted, it would be much happier in a lrger tank.

fishntrips
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
once again thanks guys. i think lucy's growth has slowed as she got to the size pretty quick and havent noticed much growth, but i see her everyday and probably wouldnt notice her size as much as someone who doesnt. thanks for all the info and now have to start working on hubby to let me have bigger lucy tank!!!!

Fishguy2727
06-10-2007, 03:12 PM
IF a fish's growth is affected by the tank size, or water conditions, it is extremely unhealthy for the fish. It effectively shaves years off its life and can negatively affect the health of the fish. Nitrates can also serve to stunt fish. This could account for the stunting of fish that do not give off any growth inhibiting hormones. Bottom line is get them into a tank big enough to handle them full grown (75 for an oscar), have tons of fitlration, keep an aggressive water change schedule, and feed the best food possible.