PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance with eco-complete

coachfraley
07-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey,

I have never used Eco-complete before, so I was wondering what type of maintenance you need for this type of substrate.

I assumed you don't "gravel vac" it because the rooted plants will be pulling nutrients from the substrate.

Does the substrate require any stirring to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming?

Sorry for the lame questions, but I have been out of planted tanks for a long time.

funkman262
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
I use Seachem Flourite Black Sand which I'd imagine would have the same maintenance requirements. I keep a very natural, low-maintenance planted tank so I never vacuum the bottom because, as you said, the plants use it for fertilizer. I also keep Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my tank to stir up the sand for me so I don't need to do it manually.

Wild Turkey
07-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Once the tanks have filled in with plants a good bit I stop vacuuming except for rare occasions.

Yes if its too deep and doesnt get sifted it will develop dead spots ime.

Plant Man
07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey,

I have never used Eco-complete before, so I was wondering what type of maintenance you need for this type of substrate.

I assumed you don't "gravel vac" it because the rooted plants will be pulling nutrients from the substrate.

Does the substrate require any stirring to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming?

Sorry for the lame questions, but I have been out of planted tanks for a long time.

I have a bag of Eco as a bottom layer in my tank. As I'm sure you know the substrate is a mix of large and very fine particles. The substrate is designed this way so the small almost mud like particles will settle to the bottom. Once these super fine particles settle you do not want to stir them up. These particles don't make a very thick layer anyway so they will not develop "dead spots". Don't worry about it; just lightly gravel vacuum the top layer of larger particles.