PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Puffer ?

Drumachine09
06-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Ive heard many conflicting things about puffers. Ive heard they are and arent community fish. My mom has a guppy tank overrun with snails because the stupid distributors dont properly sterylize their batches. Would the puffers be ok with guppies?

troy
06-10-2007, 04:23 PM
You probably shouldn't because, they might eat the guppy's fins, even if there is a good supply of snails.

Rue
06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
In my opinion they're best kept as species only. But you could try it I suppose, if you're prepared to pull the puffers and keep them in their own tank if it doesn't work out. They recommend 2-3 gallons per puffer.

Drumachine09
06-10-2007, 04:38 PM
i have extra tanks and filters, so if it doesnt work, ill just transport them. Ill go get 2 today.

cocoa_pleco
06-10-2007, 04:41 PM
there are a few puffers that are harmless. I had a puffer the size of a gumball and a pea one in my old 33g and they kept to themselves

kimmers318
06-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Very few people have any success keeping dwarf puffers with other fish. Don't be surprised if once the snail population is gone you wake up one morning to find most of the fins missing from the guppies. My Missy doesn't even touch the shrimp I put in her tank, but when I first got her for the very same reason of snail control in my tank she had a field day on fins.