PDA

View Full Version : 60gal long tank stocked with...

felly
07-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello eveyone as the title say we have a 60gal long tank and it is stocked with: 6 neon tetras, 8 zebra danios, 3 golden barbs, 4 snails, 4 red wag platies, and 5 ghost shrimp. We have lots have hidy holes and plants. My question is does this sound like a good setup? Is it too crowed? I've been doing research but everything says something different. Thanks for any help.

Felicia

Brhino
07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
That sounds very lightly stocked to me. You could add many more small fish or a few larger ones, so long as you carefully consider the requirements if your current and future fish when you do so. For starters, your golden barbs would be happier if you could increase the size of their school.

Of course, your platies will quickly be adding to the population of the tank without any assistance from you, so be prepared for that (assuming you have at least one of each gender).

felly
07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info Brhino, we are planing on adding more barbs and tetras. We would like a med sized fish in the future as well but we haven't found anything that seems compatible with the smaller fish. We were told to try and build up the numbers in the small schooling fish before we get a bigger fish b/c it would be less likely to eat the smaller schooling fish.

Brhino
07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
building up schools is always a good idea. It looks attractive and makes the fish feel happier and safer.

Neon tetras are quite small, and indeed would potentially be food for some medium sized fish like angelfish (some people successfully keep angelfish and neons together, some people watch their angelfish eat their neons).

Some options for you to consider may be gouramis and the various dwarf cichlid species. You also don't have any bottom feeders at the moment, so there are possibilities there such as a corydoras species (if you want a school) or one of the small pleco species (if you want 1 or 2 medium fish).

felly
07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the great info again Brhino. We do have a pleco, I just always forget about him since he likes to hit out. But for now we just gonna build up the schools and let them grow some before adding any new/bigger fish. I just wanted to make sure we are on the right path.

Brhino
07-27-2010, 01:03 PM
sounds like an excellent plan.